Re: Perryville, KY

  • mobile_96
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
      "Does this sound like Kurt"
      Kurt is much younger. The older gentleman doing tours a couple years
      ago was retired Navy. And I too am unable to remember his name or find
      his card. He was semi-retired from tours because of trouble with his
      legs. IIRC said he was in his mid 70's. I found his pic. in some film
      I finally had developed over the weekend. Will continue looking for
      his card.
      Anyway, he gave a grand tour for me in '02, taking me across the river
      to Bragg's headquarters and the stream behind Bragg's HQ, and then to
      the same Confederate burial spot. Before the day was out he got me
      onto the property alongside Dug Road and said to go ahead and take a
      walk down it. I did get some pics which will shortly be appearing on
      my website. To date, still not sure I really had permission to walk
      either site, but did get a few photos.
      I've read both Ken's books on Perryville. For history use both, for
      maps I prefer Hafendorfer's. Also read War in Kentucy by McDonough,
      and parts of the OR's. Last year, when I visited with a friend of
      mine, we split the field into 2 parts and spend 1 day on each half,
      reading from both books and the OR's as we walked the ground. Did get
      to spend some time with Kurt, looking for the site of a cemetery just
      off the main battle area.
      Was trying to help trace the path of the 121 OVI for someone doing a
      regimental history.
      I also enjoyed "When The Ripe Pears Fell" but todate have not run over
      to visit the Richmond area. Maybe on another trip, although after 3
      I'm not in a big hurry to go back.
      For anyone going besure to try and include Bardstown as part of the
      trip. They have a excellent CW musuem, and are building up a Frontier
      Village. I have a few pics of the village on my website also, if
      anyone is interesting in viewing them at http://mobile96.com
      Chuck in Il.
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2004
        In a message dated 8/4/2004 11:16:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, carpmaster@... writes:
        I also enjoyed "When The Ripe Pears Fell" but todate have not run over
        to visit the Richmond area.
        If you have a copy of this book, hang on to it.  They are harder to find than teeth on a chicken, and there is no plan whatsoever to print any more copies.  I would venture to say, that someday, they will be quite valuable for it is not only the best for information on the Battle of Richmond, it is the only book written on that battle.  For those that are not aware, that is the battle that Cleburne got shot in the mouth and as a result, grew a beard to hide the scars.

        JEJ
      • philbuckner
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2004
          I was able to visit Perryville last month during the Kentucky Civil
          War Heritage Trail. I think it was Kurt I met at the visitors
          center. He gave me his card and I was going to contact him about
          something by e-mail...naturally, I seem to have lost it.

          Since I was there the day before the scheduled activities, I had the
          battlefield almost to myself. Just walking around and following the
          movements of both armies was stirring, and a bit eerie since few
          visitors were around.

          They have just purchased a section of land that contains the Dye
          house, General S.B. Buckner's headquarters. It is not open to the
          public yet, but they gave me permission to go up to the house and
          take some pictures. Couldn't go inside, but I was glad they let me
          go at all since I had to climb a gate to get there!

          I grew up not far from Perryville and cannot believe I have not been
          there more than I have. A much more significant battle than usually
          credited. Definitely a high water mark for the Confederacy in the
          West, IMO.

          I also made it to Mill Springs. That's also an interesting battle
          and deserves more attention than it usually gets.

          Phil

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <carpmaster@c...>