Brand new member

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hello, and thank you for allowing me into your Group!

      To establish my bona fides:
      I am a native Floridian, born in Jacksonville (1958) but raised in
      Maine (1965-1981); I earned my B.A. in History from Bates College
      (Lewiston, Maine) in 1980. It was VERY interesting being a native
      Floridian, growing up in the precincts of (among others) Chamberlain,
      Howard, et. al.!

      While at Bates, I took a "Short Term" course in the Civil
      War. "Short Term" refers to an extra half-semester in the spring,
      during which a student takes ONE course, meeting 3-5 times a week,
      generally for 3 hrs per meeting. In the case of the Civil War
      course, each student was assigned a particular battle, which s/he
      would study, analyze, interpret and then present to the class for an
      entire class meeting. For 3 hours, the student brought the battle to
      life .. after which his/her presentation was discussed and critiqued
      by the class (and, of course, by the professor). Extensively-
      researched papers on the battle were also required for the course.

      For the record: I drew the Battle of the Wilderness (missed out on
      Chickamauga)...and my grade for the course was an A.

      As an Episcopalian, my interest and attention was early drawn towards
      Lt Gen Leonidas Polk (whom my Bates professor described as one of the
      better generals in the West; an assessment contradicted by just about
      all published accounts of Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga). I
      remain sympathetic to Polk (especially v Bragg, whom I consider a
      brilliant strategist but whose execution was anemic), and to Hardee;
      I have become respectful of D.H. Hill.

      I am currently working my way through "This Terrible Sound" (Peter
      Cozzens), having already dealt with "No Better Place to Die".
      Cozzens' scholarship is sound, although once again he is fairly
      condemnatory of the Fighting Bishop. I would like to obtain a copy
      of the U.S. Army War College Guide to the Battle of Chickamauga ...

      I look forward to many enjoyable and rewarding exchanges with y'all!

      Eric
      St Petersburg, FLORIDA
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        In a message dated 8/3/2004 9:48:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ecarboneau@... writes:

[...]

        Eric,

        Welcome aboard.  Am a bonafide Eastern Theater student here, but I have been in this group since day one, and it never ceases to amaze what all I have learned from the folks who post in here about the war in the west.  It really is a fine group, and hope you enjoy it as much as I do here in the Garden State.

        Take Care!

        Steve Basic
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          In a message dated 8/3/2004 11:47:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:
          Am a bonafide Eastern Theater student here, but I have been in this group since day one, and it never ceases to amaze what all I have learned from the folks who post in here about the war in the west.
          Steve is just biased because he knows that East is Least and West is Best

          JEJ
        • basecat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            In a message dated 8/4/2004 1:14:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:

            Steve is just biased because he knows that East is Least and West is Best

            JEJ

            JEJ,

            Not at all.  Still not over dealing with Sickles at Gettysburg, and know I will need my strength when I finally tackle Bragg and others out your way. :)  That said, have been reading a lot of late about the war out that way, and next June I will be making the pilgrimage to Vicksburg for the first time.  Interested to see how the 4th of July, 1863 was celebrated out that way for a change..:)

            Hope all is well.

            Regards from the Garden State,

            Steve Basic
          • aot1952
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
              Hey, don't the new members have to buy everyone donuts or something?
              Regards-
              Wakefield
              "Retreat? Hell we just got here!"
            • b_schulte70
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                I'd prefer a beer if he's buying! ;-)

                Brett S.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                  In a message dated 8/4/2004 2:16:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:
                  Interested to see how the 4th of July, 1863 was celebrated out that way for a change..:)
                  Bring your rifle, handgun, cannon, or if nothing else, M-80's or some other form of firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, etc.  Mainly however, something that makes a big bang.

                  JEJ
                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                    Rebel Yell Whiskey