Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Chickamauga park events

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
      In a message dated 8/1/2004 4:59:28 PM Central Daylight Time, abagley@... writes:

      Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
      Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
      forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
      the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
      segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

      Yes, Trigg's guys were critical in flanking what was left of the Snodgrass line, and helped take the 21 and 89 Ohio, and the 21 Mich.

      I am very fond of Stovall's approach, as it makes an interesting entree into the Union lines from the North, against what is usually assumed to be Thomas' impervious line around Kelly Field. Stovall and half of Adams actually fulfilled Bragg's objective on the 20th, turned Rosecrans' North flank, and interposed themselves between Rosey and Chattanooga. Unsupported, they were kicked out again fairly quickly, but their success highlights the problems Rosey was having all day, not just around the Brotherton House.

      Sounds like a fun trip. If you go again, let me know, maybe we could hold an informal gathering there.

      Dave
    • Art Bagley
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hello Dave...

        Like I mentioned in another thread, I plan on venturing to northwest
        Georgia when Cleburne's statue is dedicated at Ringgold.
        Chickamauga's just around the corner from there and I could easily be
        pursuaded to revisit that field and meet up with you. I'll keep in
        touch, for sure.

        Art B. in Fla.

      • LWhite64@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
          Art,
                  Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one of the Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know who you were at that time.

          Lee
        • Art Bagley
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
            Good evening, Lee...

            First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
            least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
            helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
            enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

            From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had
            was the Mark Thrash cabin site; however, my mind was faulty in that
            I believed the actual cabin was still extant. But when I walked up
            to the display this time, I realized that the only cabin at the site
            is in the photograph on the info plaque.

            By the way, did the Visitors' Center store ever get in the park's
            souvenir "lapel pin" shipment? I left my name, address and phone #
            with a store clerk (a young woman) but have not heard back. Does the
            store have a separate website? Thanx!

            Art Bagley
            Tampa, FL

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@a... wrote:
            > Art,
            > Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one
            of the
            > Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know
            who you were at
            > that time.
            >
            > Lee
          • Art Bagley
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
              Good evening, Lee...

              First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
              least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
              helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
              enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

              From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had