Re: [civilwarwest] Perryville, KY

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
      In a message dated 8/1/2004 5:30:10 PM Central Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

      Art,
      If you are looking for a good table top war game on it, try "Perryville"
      by The Gamers. It is excellent. I was at the battle field about 3 years
      ago and had a great time with the guide who showed me some very
      interesting sites.
      Tom Mix

      Art,

      that would be my game, this came thru just as I finished typing.

      Tom,

      Who was your guide - the park Historian, Kurt? Great guy.

      Dave Powell
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004

        Dave,

        Unfortunately I can’t recall the gentleman’s name nor locate his card.  He was recommended to me by someone in the gift shop. They showed where his office was near the shop. If I recall correctly he was a retired military officer. An older gentleman. Since I have a disability license plate he had me drive all over the field. I’m sure we violated a few rules but he said not worry about it so I didn’t. He was very nice and very knowledgeable. I am embarrassed to admit that his name and card have escaped me. Later we left the battlefield and he directed me to a CSA grave yard that is a ways from the park area and quite isolated. It was quite moving. If I remember correctly, they had just bought control of the site. With out his guidance, it would never have been as enjoyable.

        Does this sound like Kurt, Dave?

        Tom

      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
          In a message dated 8/1/2004 6:30:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
          Anyhow, Perryville intrigues me and I'll have to refresh my memory
          by rereading then start something here. Anybody game?

          Art B.
          Not only Perryville Art, but also the battle of Richmond, KY.  The best book on that battle is "Where the Ripe Pears Fell."  It is only about thirty-five miles between Perryville and Richmond.  Two separate battles yet so close, and still, in a sense, tied to each other.

          JEJ
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
            In a message dated 8/1/2004 7:53:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
            Who was your guide - the park Historian, Kurt? Great guy.

            Dave Powell
            I met Kurt through Susan (CitznComp) and I agree, he is a great guy.  Susan also is another excellent person to act as a guide for Perryville.  You can always get ahold of her by calling Shaker Village where she is one of the supervisors.  She also tours the state talking to elementary kids not only on Shaker Village, but also on the Civil War and is well known in that area's Round Table.

            Wayne
          • DPowell334@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
              In a message dated 8/1/2004 7:29:21 PM Central Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

              Does this sound like Kurt, Dave?

              No, but I think I have met the gentleman you are describing. It sounds like a good tour.

              Kurt works for the park, but things are sometimes so quiet there that he can sneak out onto the field.

              Dave Powell
            • mobile_96
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
                "Does this sound like Kurt"
                Kurt is much younger. The older gentleman doing tours a couple years
                ago was retired Navy. And I too am unable to remember his name or find
                his card. He was semi-retired from tours because of trouble with his
                legs. IIRC said he was in his mid 70's. I found his pic. in some film
                I finally had developed over the weekend. Will continue looking for
                his card.
                Anyway, he gave a grand tour for me in '02, taking me across the river
                to Bragg's headquarters and the stream behind Bragg's HQ, and then to
                the same Confederate burial spot. Before the day was out he got me
                onto the property alongside Dug Road and said to go ahead and take a
                walk down it. I did get some pics which will shortly be appearing on
                my website. To date, still not sure I really had permission to walk
                either site, but did get a few photos.
                I've read both Ken's books on Perryville. For history use both, for
                maps I prefer Hafendorfer's. Also read War in Kentucy by McDonough,
                and parts of the OR's. Last year, when I visited with a friend of
                mine, we split the field into 2 parts and spend 1 day on each half,
                reading from both books and the OR's as we walked the ground. Did get
                to spend some time with Kurt, looking for the site of a cemetery just
                off the main battle area.
                Was trying to help trace the path of the 121 OVI for someone doing a
                regimental history.
                I also enjoyed "When The Ripe Pears Fell" but todate have not run over
                to visit the Richmond area. Maybe on another trip, although after 3
                I'm not in a big hurry to go back.
                For anyone going besure to try and include Bardstown as part of the
                trip. They have a excellent CW musuem, and are building up a Frontier
                Village. I have a few pics of the village on my website also, if
                anyone is interesting in viewing them at http://mobile96.com
                Chuck in Il.
              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 8/4/2004 11:16:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, carpmaster@... writes:
                  I also enjoyed "When The Ripe Pears Fell" but todate have not run over
                  to visit the Richmond area.
                  If you have a copy of this book, hang on to it.  They are harder to find than teeth on a chicken, and there is no plan whatsoever to print any more copies.  I would venture to say, that someday, they will be quite valuable for it is not only the best for information on the Battle of Richmond, it is the only book written on that battle.  For those that are not aware, that is the battle that Cleburne got shot in the mouth and as a result, grew a beard to hide the scars.

                  JEJ
                • philbuckner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 5, 2004
                    I was able to visit Perryville last month during the Kentucky Civil
                    War Heritage Trail. I think it was Kurt I met at the visitors
                    center. He gave me his card and I was going to contact him about
                    something by e-mail...naturally, I seem to have lost it.

                    Since I was there the day before the scheduled activities, I had the
                    battlefield almost to myself. Just walking around and following the
                    movements of both armies was stirring, and a bit eerie since few
                    visitors were around.

                    They have just purchased a section of land that contains the Dye
                    house, General S.B. Buckner's headquarters. It is not open to the
                    public yet, but they gave me permission to go up to the house and
                    take some pictures. Couldn't go inside, but I was glad they let me
                    go at all since I had to climb a gate to get there!

                    I grew up not far from Perryville and cannot believe I have not been
                    there more than I have. A much more significant battle than usually
                    credited. Definitely a high water mark for the Confederacy in the
                    West, IMO.

                    I also made it to Mill Springs. That's also an interesting battle
                    and deserves more attention than it usually gets.

                    Phil

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <carpmaster@c...>