Re: [civilwarwest] Murfeesboro

  • Golf4foode@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
      Clyde wrote:

      >My GG father was in the 33rd ohio and with
      Sill when he was killed. The 78th PVI was right
      there were McCooks line pivoted. They took fire
      from front and side. Next day Jan 1st was
      slow, the 2nd the Rebs tried the left Crittendens
      side of line. Here 78th gained their fame, cross
      ing Stones River and captureing battle flag and
      some cannons. You may be right in calling it
      a Draw but I like to say we whipped them.Not
      the first day, but they left.
      Clyde

      Could you give me some more info on this action above? My GGGGrandfather was in the 4th Florida of Preston's brigade and what little info I have found in researching that unit talks about the regiment serving in the rear guard at Murfeesboro and repulsing a Federal attack in which they recaptured some cannon. Would love to find out more, but most sources I've seen on Murfeesboro give little attention to Preston's brigade at all... Anyone recomend a book on the battle and campaign?

      Regards,
      Alan Lynn
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2001
        Alan,
               The Offical Records would probably have more.  Like so many battles,
        Murfreesboro gets broken down into a few segements and other phases of the
        battle get forgotten.

        Lee
      • LWhite64@aol.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2001
            Golf4foode@... writes:

            << Anyone recomend a book on the battle and campaign?

            Regards,
            Alan Lynn

            The best book you can find on the battle of Stone's River is "No Better
            Place to Die" by Peter Cozzens. It is carried by Borders, JB Dalton,
            Amazon.com . It is very descriptive and technical with all aspects of the
            battle.

            lWayne Bengston
          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2001
                Alan Lynn and Wayne:
                I have "No Better Place to Die" by Cozzens,
                very good. I also got a lot out of the Gallant
                Seventy-Eighth by Ron Gancas, who is the great
                Grandson of Colonel William Sirwell, Commander of
                78th.
                Clyde

                =====
                Clyde