Re: [civilwarwest] Chickamauga park events

  • vck21k@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2004
      So what was the good news?!
                                              Victoria K.
    • Art Bagley
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hello George, Dave, and All...

        Managed to revisit Chickamauga a couple weeks ago on my second
        western theater tour (first one was back in 2000).

        Focused on Florida troops plus Sgt. Richard Kirkland of the 2nd
        South Carolina in Kershaw's brigade. With his famous Fredericksburg
        VA statue, I figured Kirkland would have, to some degree, been
        recognized out west when Longstreet's corps was "loaned" by RELee.
        Anyhow, the rangers @ Chickamauga didn't seem to know why there was
        so little interest in following up the career of "The Angel of
        Marye's Heights;" the 2nd SC marker is so small and insignificant
        over on Snodgrass Hill/Horseshoe Ridge, it's almost pitiful -- in
        addition to no mention of Kirkland.

        Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
        Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
        forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
        the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
        segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

        Also made it to Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Orchard Knob,
        Kennesaw Mountain, Pickett's Mill, and Irwinville [Jeff'n. Davis
        capture site -- but it was closed on Tuesday July 6 since it had
        been open on July 4 & 5].

        Just might have to convince my ACW travelling buddy to head west
        again next summer and meet up with y'all in Vicksburg, which we've
        not visited. Sounds great!

        Art "Sunshine State" B.
      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
          In a message dated 8/1/2004 4:59:28 PM Central Daylight Time, abagley@... writes:

          Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
          Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
          forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
          the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
          segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

          Yes, Trigg's guys were critical in flanking what was left of the Snodgrass line, and helped take the 21 and 89 Ohio, and the 21 Mich.

          I am very fond of Stovall's approach, as it makes an interesting entree into the Union lines from the North, against what is usually assumed to be Thomas' impervious line around Kelly Field. Stovall and half of Adams actually fulfilled Bragg's objective on the 20th, turned Rosecrans' North flank, and interposed themselves between Rosey and Chattanooga. Unsupported, they were kicked out again fairly quickly, but their success highlights the problems Rosey was having all day, not just around the Brotherton House.

          Sounds like a fun trip. If you go again, let me know, maybe we could hold an informal gathering there.

          Dave
        • Art Bagley
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
            Hello Dave...

            Like I mentioned in another thread, I plan on venturing to northwest
            Georgia when Cleburne's statue is dedicated at Ringgold.
            Chickamauga's just around the corner from there and I could easily be
            pursuaded to revisit that field and meet up with you. I'll keep in
            touch, for sure.

            Art B. in Fla.

          • LWhite64@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
              Art,
                      Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one of the Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know who you were at that time.

              Lee
            • Art Bagley
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
                Good evening, Lee...

                First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
                least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
                helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
                enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

                From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had
                was the Mark Thrash cabin site; however, my mind was faulty in that
                I believed the actual cabin was still extant. But when I walked up
                to the display this time, I realized that the only cabin at the site
                is in the photograph on the info plaque.

                By the way, did the Visitors' Center store ever get in the park's
                souvenir "lapel pin" shipment? I left my name, address and phone #
                with a store clerk (a young woman) but have not heard back. Does the
                store have a separate website? Thanx!

                Art Bagley
                Tampa, FL

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@a... wrote:
                > Art,
                > Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one
                of the
                > Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know
                who you were at
                > that time.
                >
                > Lee
              • Art Bagley
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Good evening, Lee...

                  First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
                  least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
                  helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
                  enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

                  From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had