Re: [civilwarwest] Chickamauga park events

  • ecm777@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
      George, I haven't heard anything yet. However, there are several who post to this board that are directly involved with the happenings at Chickamauga.  Perhaps one of them will respond to your query.  In the mean time, here is an email address for the lady at the park that post the new releases. If you will email her, she will put you on that email list.  Virginia_Harris@...

      Regards
      Colleen aka CWgal

      Does anyone know of any special events for the anniversaries of
      chickamauga battle, etc., for this fall at the Battlefield? The web
      sites said nothing.
         George

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
        In a message dated 7/28/2004 12:40:24 PM Central Daylight Time, ecm777@... writes:

        George, I haven't heard anything yet. However, there are several who post to this board that are directly involved with the happenings at Chickamauga.  Perhaps one of them will respond to your query.  In the mean time, here is an email address for the lady at the park that post the new releases. If you will email her, she will put you on that email list.  Virginia_Harris@...

        Regards
        Colleen aka CWgal

        The park hopes to make an effort to provide walking and car caravan tours for the weekend of the anniversary. I do not have an exact schedule, but here is a run down.

        Four Park Servivce interpreters, including Jim Ogden, will be conducting periodic walks and a couple of caravan tours highlighting aspects of the battle. Typically, a field walk will focus on a specific action (Viniard Field, Snodgrass Hill, etc) and last 1-2 hours. I do not know what topics will be covered yet.

        There will be a small battalion of period confederate infantry doing living history, as well as 4-5 Confederate Cavalrymen.

        Matt Spruill,  who wrote the war College Guide for the battle, will be doing signings at the bookstore that weekend. Jim hopes to get other authors, but he is not definite on anyone else yet.

        I have volunteered my efforts as an additional interpreter/guide for Friday to Monday, Sept 17-20, to help Jim increase interpretive efforts on the field for the anniversary. I hope that other students on the battle or on men/units who fought there will be able to do so, maybe through the efforts of the Friends of the Park. Personally, I would like to see this become an annual effort, but you gotta start small:)

        I don't know if the Friends has anything planned. They have been successful in clearing viewshed on Missionary Ridge this year, among other projects, but I don't know if they will have people or resources to help with the commemoration. I hope that they will be able to help in some way.

        In any case, if you come to the field over that weekend (Sept 17-20) at the very least, I will give you a great tour and look at the field. As we get closer to the event, I will try and post more details. Please at least let me know if you plan on stopping by, so we can say hello, or contact me if you are interested in a more detailed tour.

        Dave Powell
      • George Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
          Thanks Dave! Based on this I will try to interest a
          group.
          George

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • lilsteve68@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 28, 2004
            In a message dated 7/28/04 5:35:13 PM Central Daylight Time, DPowell334@... writes:

            In any case, if you come to the field over that weekend (Sept 17-20) at the very least, I will give you a great tour and look at the field. As we get closer to the event, I will try and post more details. Please at least let me know if you plan on stopping by, so we can say hello, or contact me if you are interested in a more detailed tour.

            Dave Powell

            Dave the Wilsn county (Tennessee)  Civil war Round table  will at the park Aug 28th   I look forward  to visting once again  were ny 3rd great grandfather and his  brother in law  in the  22nd Alabama  lost its colors on snoodgrass hill and were one 3rd great uncle  in the 28th alabama  was wounded and captured  and his brother was wounded at  Orchard knob..

            regards,
            Steven cone
          • aot1952
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29, 2004
              Mr. Powell-
              Thanks for the information. It sounds like an interesting week end
              and well worth a trip.
              Wakefield
            • DPowell334@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 30, 2004
                In a message dated 7/29/2004 1:07:13 AM Central Daylight Time, lilsteve68@... writes:

                Dave the Wilsn county (Tennessee)  Civil war Round table  will at the park Aug 28th   I look forward  to visting once again  were ny 3rd great grandfather and his  brother in law  in the  22nd Alabama  lost its colors on snoodgrass hill and were one 3rd great uncle  in the 28th alabama  was wounded and captured  and his brother was wounded at  Orchard knob..

                Have a good time.

                Dave
              • vck21k@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 30, 2004
                  So what was the good news?!
                                                          Victoria K.
                • Art Bagley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
                    Hello George, Dave, and All...

                    Managed to revisit Chickamauga a couple weeks ago on my second
                    western theater tour (first one was back in 2000).

                    Focused on Florida troops plus Sgt. Richard Kirkland of the 2nd
                    South Carolina in Kershaw's brigade. With his famous Fredericksburg
                    VA statue, I figured Kirkland would have, to some degree, been
                    recognized out west when Longstreet's corps was "loaned" by RELee.
                    Anyhow, the rangers @ Chickamauga didn't seem to know why there was
                    so little interest in following up the career of "The Angel of
                    Marye's Heights;" the 2nd SC marker is so small and insignificant
                    over on Snodgrass Hill/Horseshoe Ridge, it's almost pitiful -- in
                    addition to no mention of Kirkland.

                    Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
                    Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
                    forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
                    the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
                    segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

                    Also made it to Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Orchard Knob,
                    Kennesaw Mountain, Pickett's Mill, and Irwinville [Jeff'n. Davis
                    capture site -- but it was closed on Tuesday July 6 since it had
                    been open on July 4 & 5].

                    Just might have to convince my ACW travelling buddy to head west
                    again next summer and meet up with y'all in Vicksburg, which we've
                    not visited. Sounds great!

                    Art "Sunshine State" B.
                  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
                      In a message dated 8/1/2004 4:59:28 PM Central Daylight Time, abagley@... writes:

                      Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
                      Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
                      forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
                      the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
                      segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

                      Yes, Trigg's guys were critical in flanking what was left of the Snodgrass line, and helped take the 21 and 89 Ohio, and the 21 Mich.

                      I am very fond of Stovall's approach, as it makes an interesting entree into the Union lines from the North, against what is usually assumed to be Thomas' impervious line around Kelly Field. Stovall and half of Adams actually fulfilled Bragg's objective on the 20th, turned Rosecrans' North flank, and interposed themselves between Rosey and Chattanooga. Unsupported, they were kicked out again fairly quickly, but their success highlights the problems Rosey was having all day, not just around the Brotherton House.

                      Sounds like a fun trip. If you go again, let me know, maybe we could hold an informal gathering there.

                      Dave
                    • Art Bagley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
                        Hello Dave...

                        Like I mentioned in another thread, I plan on venturing to northwest
                        Georgia when Cleburne's statue is dedicated at Ringgold.
                        Chickamauga's just around the corner from there and I could easily be
                        pursuaded to revisit that field and meet up with you. I'll keep in
                        touch, for sure.

                        Art B. in Fla.

                      • LWhite64@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
                          Art,
                                  Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one of the Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know who you were at that time.

                          Lee
                        • Art Bagley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
                            Good evening, Lee...

                            First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
                            least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
                            helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
                            enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

                            From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had
                            was the Mark Thrash cabin site; however, my mind was faulty in that
                            I believed the actual cabin was still extant. But when I walked up
                            to the display this time, I realized that the only cabin at the site
                            is in the photograph on the info plaque.

                            By the way, did the Visitors' Center store ever get in the park's
                            souvenir "lapel pin" shipment? I left my name, address and phone #
                            with a store clerk (a young woman) but have not heard back. Does the
                            store have a separate website? Thanx!

                            Art Bagley
                            Tampa, FL

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@a... wrote:
                            > Art,
                            > Im glad you enjoyed your trip through the park, I was one
                            of the
                            > Rangers that you spoke to at the Information desk, I didnt know
                            who you were at
                            > that time.
                            >
                            > Lee
                          • Art Bagley
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
                              Good evening, Lee...

                              First visited Chickamauga in 2000 and immediately knew it'd be at
                              least a two-visit park. Now that I made it back for the "second
                              helping" a few weeks ago, I'll revise my estimate and say there's
                              enough for at least two MORE trips there for a total of four.

                              From the 2000 trip, for some reason, the most ingrained memory I had