Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grant's victory

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 80 , Feb 2, 2001
      In a message dated 2/2/01 6:14:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, daburden@...
      writes:

      << Rosecrans' chief of staff got his head
      taken off by an arty round at some point on the first day. >>
      Andy,
      I may be wrong, as often I am, but I believe that James Garfield was Rosey's
      Chief of Staff. I know they bunked in the same tent. The best technical
      description writing of this battle, I have found in Peter Cozzens' "No
      Better Place To Die". Cozzen talks again about Garfield's relation with
      Rosecrans in his book, "This Terrible Sound".
    • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
      Message 80 of 80 , Feb 7, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., sdwakefield@p... wrote:
        > I believe that Rosey's Chief of Staff at Murfreesboro was Colonel
        > Julius Garesche' a native of Cuba. Sadly he did have his head shot
        > off during December 31, 1862. I believe that Garfield was Garesche's
        > replacement.
        > Regards-
        > Wakefield

        Steve,

        I beleive you to be correct.And as I recall, Rosey was next to
        him when it happened.----Dan