Camp Boone Update

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2004
      Civil War Heritage Site Gets Second Chance

      Clarksville, TN – Friday, July 16, 2004

      A threat of Commercial Development has been delayed for the site of
      Civil War-era recruiting and mustering camp, Camp Boone in
      Clarksville, Tenn. County Commissioners met last Monday and voted 20
      to 1 to delay a decision for 90 days on the petition for rezoning of
      the property where the camp is thought to have been.

      Clarksville attorney Cleo Hogan said. "The time given us is little.
      We must proceed with all haste to get a proper archaeological survey
      done to know exactly where the camp was."

      "I was really surprised at just how much positive response we
      received for our cause! The Tennessee State Archaeologist and many
      local supporters showed up for us. Letters of Support came in from
      all over. We have all been on the phone this week making contacts
      and gathering information. From the historical documentation that
      have found, we are almost certain that we will find evidence for the
      site right where they have petitioned for the rezoning. Local
      amateur archaeologists have been finding civil war items there for
      years," commented Steven B.G. Stewart, Chief Curator of the museum in
      Clarksville.

      "We need to get dozens of supporters there to help save this historic
      site. We need about $10,000 to pay for the survey and we need it
      fast! We have formed a county preservation group to oversee this and
      have a bank account to take any and all donations for the payment of
      the survey," said Greg Biggs, president of the Clarksville Civil War
      Roundtable. Those wanting to donate money to help get this survey
      completed may make their check out to Arts & Heritage Development
      Council - Camp Boone Fund and then mail it to:

      Arts & Heritage Development Council - Camp Boone Fund
      PO Box 555,
      Clarksville, TN 37041

      The Arts & Heritage Development Council is a 501c3 non-profit
      organization in Montgomery County, Tennessee. Its mission is to
      preserve and promote our regions culture.
      Plans are still underway for a cooperative effort between several
      heritage groups and the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in
      Clarksville that will lead to the creation of a comprehensive driving
      tour of Civil War sites that will include the sites of training
      camps, forts, battles, historic homes and cemeteries. Camp Boone is
      to be a pivotal part of the planned map tour.
      Steven Stewart of the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in
      Clarksville can be contacted at (931) 648-5780.