Re: [civilwarwest] Ky Reb

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 22, 2004

      Basecat,
         Yeah I miss the old days and the old fire.  The bond we had/have is not unlike that amongst living historians/reenactors.  The men in my mess are some of the best friends I have ever had.  When there is a bong you can certainly feel it.
        I'm glad I found the group again.  It was actually by mistake.  I was doing some research on Chickamauga, which is practically in my backyard, for a 6 week long living history and a friend sent me a link to info on the battle.  Low and behold it was Shotgun's website.  I hadn't been there in ages.  I got to checking out his new info and stumbled across the chat room and message boards and here I am. :-)  When was yalls last muster and where was it?  Is there going to be one this year?  I would like to attend just to catch up.  But with last year attending 32+ events time is limited and we have a full plate all the time.

      Your Obedient Servant,
      2nd Serg. Jason R. Fowler
      52nd Geo/123rd NY
      www.52ndga.org
      Blue Ridge Mess

      GaReb,

      First off, welcome back to the ranks, and good to see you again. :)  Folks who have no clue about the infamous chat room would not understand this, but the bond in there continues, and this has been a sad couple of days for all who have met and talked with the infamous Ky Reb.

      First thing I thought of when I heard he had passed, the welcoming comittee that awaited him in the beyond. :)

      Glad you found us again!

      Take Care.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Basecat

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 22, 2004
        In a message dated 7/22/2004 12:34:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, jay_ga_25@... writes:

[...]

        You wrote: "When there is a bong you can certainly feel it"

        Man. sounds like your unit is into a whole different kind of reenacting.  If you guys are planning to go to the Franklin event in Oct, I'll look for the smoke cloud to find you.

        Regards,

        Kent Dorr, Lt
        64th OVI
        Army of the Ohio

      • basecat1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 22, 2004
          In a message dated 7/22/2004 12:33:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jay_ga_25@... writes:

[...]

          Muster for this year has already come and gone, but we will be heading out west next June, and will be visiting Vicksburg, as Pat has always related.

          Since announcement on the chat site was unveiled this eveing, I extend to all an invite to join our chat room come mid-September, as CWi will be once again a free site again.  We have book chats in there every Sunday and Monday nights, and they have been wonderful, as it is great to discuss books with all from across the country who keep up with the "homework"..:)

          Not sure how many have even read "Uncle Tom's Cabin", but that is the current discussion topic on Mondays, and on Sundays we tend to be more military with the chat.  Since Muster 2005 in Vicksburg has been announced, we plan to be delving into books on the campaign as Muster Prep, and know all in here with their knowledge on the Western things of the Civil War would be welcomed.  Plus, it keeps me from spouting off on my Gettysburg bias as well...which is a good thing as I seem to get Sickles's flu every July..:)

          Just to add for those not in the know, Next year will be our 7th annual Muster.  Thus far we have all gathered in Shiloh, Manassas, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Antietam, Wilson's Creek/Pea Ridge, and Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville.  We have had many great tour guides over the years, and fellow members in here such as AoT, and Shotgun have led memorable tours over the years.  This past June, we had a fine triple play of guides, as Melissa Delcour took us all on a great tour of Fredericksburg, Frank O'Reilly gave a memorable talk at Guinea Station during a candlelight vigil where Stonewall Jackson died, and Robert K. Krick led us on a full day tour of Chancellorsville.

          It really is a wonderful trip, and each one has been memorable..to say the least.  Notice, and much to my chagrin, the group has yet to visit Gettysburg..:)

          Regards from the Garden State,

          Steve Basic

        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 23, 2004
            In a message dated 7/23/2004 1:43:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:
            Since announcement on the chat site was unveiled this eveing, I extend to all an invite to join our chat room come mid-September, as CWi will be once again a free site again.  We have book chats in there every Sunday and Monday nights, and they have been wonderful, as it is great to discuss books with all from across the country who keep up with the "homework"..:)
            Just tell me how to get to the chat room Steve and I will be there with spurs ah jingling.

            JEJ
          • aot1952
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 23, 2004
              Well, THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
              Wakefield

              "..:)
              > Just tell me how to get to the chat room Steve and I will be there
              with spurs
              > ah jingling.
              >
              > JEJ
            • P. B. Jones
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 23, 2004
                No kidding.  ;)  I fear the deed is done, AoT.  JEJ says he IS joining us.

                Best regards from SEK.

                Pat

              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 23, 2004
                  In a message dated 7/23/2004 2:31:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:
                  Well, THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
                  Wakefield
                  Now be careful Steve.  I may start talks about the war in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California (all CWW) in Spanish.

                  JEJ
                • Jay