Searching the archives

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2004
      Searching the archives

      I had been frustrated with the search function at the website, and
      really became bound and determined to find some old posts that I knew
      the search engine could find. The problem is that if you search for
      anything, the search invariably will start with the last posts.
      Searching only a few posts at a time, it was extremely daunting to try
      and search for anything going back to a few years ago.

      Here is how to bypass that problem:

      Decide what message you want to start with and make a note of it.

      In the 'messages' or 'home' section you will find the search function.
      Enter the text you are searching for and click on the icon 'Search
      Archive'.

      The search has begun with the most recent posts; but click on 'next'.

      Now the location field of your browser has a message number contained
      in it; change it to the desired message no.

      WITH YOUR CURSOR BLINKING IN THE LOCATION FIELD hit 'enter' on your
      keyboard [do not click on anything].

      Click on 'Previous' to search forward through the archive. [this does
      seem backwards!]

      If you had selected the first message for 2001, say, and selected a
      key word that is fairly rare, you should be able to search throughout
      2001 in a few minutes. I have already found a couple of posts that I
      have wanted to locate and bookmark for a long time; you can go to the
      'files' section and go to the 'Bookmarks in our Archive' section to
      view these. Feel free to add your own, bearing in mind, of course,
      that we will have clutter if not somewhat discriminating.

      Carl
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2004
        PS

        I have reason to believe that the numbering of the posts does change,
        therefore bookmarking a post may not be a permanent thing. In the case
        of the best posts, make a copy or be prepared to search again.
        [hopefully this is a one-time problem, or I'm wrong]