Re: [civilwarwest] Grant's victory

  • Clyde Thompson
    Message 1 of 80 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Andy:
      Let me set the record straight. Newton was
      under Sills command. When I said with him I didn't
      mean like holding his hand. Great Grand Pap
      Stewart survived the war.Their was a story he had
      taken a bayonet to the stomach, was going to get a
      second pass when he told the fellow he was done in
      Was left for dying.Have no proof of this but he
      had hospital time on his record.
      I think Stones River is an overlooked but
      interesting battle. Yes, I walked acorss where the
      78th went. Seemed more like a creek then a river?
      This was on the cover of America's Civil War
      January 1997 ( seems like yesterday).78th taking
      the flag of the 26th Tennessee. Keep it coming
      Andy. Clyde

      =====
      Clyde

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
      Message 80 of 80 , Feb 7, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., sdwakefield@p... wrote:
        > I believe that Rosey's Chief of Staff at Murfreesboro was Colonel
        > Julius Garesche' a native of Cuba. Sadly he did have his head shot
        > off during December 31, 1862. I believe that Garfield was Garesche's
        > replacement.
        > Regards-
        > Wakefield

        Steve,

        I beleive you to be correct.And as I recall, Rosey was next to
        him when it happened.----Dan