Re: Texas 12th Volunteer Infantry - Walker's Division info?

  • Sam Shurtleff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > Are you referring to "Walker's Texas Division, C.S.A: Greyhounds of
      the Trans-Mississippi"
      > by Richard Lowe? I have seen it at the bookstore near my house.
      It looks good but I do
      > not have enough interest to spend the money.
      >
      > Have you seen this website:
      http://www.angelfire.com/tx/RandysTexas/page3.html

      Yes, that is the book! I have not seen it in a bookstore yet, just
      online. That is a great website to which you posted a link, thank
      you. My g-g-grandfather was in the First Brigade, Company D. It was
      great to see the muster roll there, as well.

      -Sam
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
        In a message dated 7/13/2004 11:30:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sambeaux64@... writes:

        Hello all,

        I just noticed that a book has been published about this group which
        fought at Vicksburg as well as the Red River campaign. Has anyone
        read the book yet? Anybody here have any info on these soldiers who
        were known as "Walker's Greyhounds"?

        thanks,
        Sam

        Sam,

        I just picked up a copy of the book here recently, but have not had the time to read it.  It looks to be a decent Division study on the Texans and their service during the Civil War.  The only reason why I picked it up, was I rarely come across books here in NJ dealing with the Trans Mississippi Theater of the war.

        Hope this helps.  The exact title is "Walker's Texas Division C.S.A.- Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi" by Richard Lowe.  It is published by LSU Press.

        Regards from the Garden State,

        Steve Basic
      • virginia_cajun
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Shurtleff"
          <sambeaux64@y...> wrote:

          The book is the first modern history of Walker's Texas Infantry
          Division, and Professor Lowe did an excellent job with it. Anyone
          interested in the Trans-Mississippi Department should at least read
          the book if not purchase a copy.

          Art Bergeron