Texas 12th Volunteer Infantry - Walker's Division info?

  • Sam Shurtleff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
      Hello all,

      I just noticed that a book has been published about this group which
      fought at Vicksburg as well as the Red River campaign. Has anyone
      read the book yet? Anybody here have any info on these soldiers who
      were known as "Walker's Greyhounds"?

      thanks,
      Sam
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Shurtleff" <sambeaux64@y...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I just noticed that a book has been published about this group which
        > fought at Vicksburg as well as the Red River campaign. Has anyone
        > read the book yet? Anybody here have any info on these soldiers who
        > were known as "Walker's Greyhounds"?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Sam

        Are you referring to "Walker's Texas Division, C.S.A: Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi"
        by Richard Lowe? I have seen it at the bookstore near my house. It looks good but I do
        not have enough interest to spend the money.

        Have you seen this website: http://www.angelfire.com/tx/RandysTexas/page3.html
      • Sam Shurtleff
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
          <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
          > Are you referring to "Walker's Texas Division, C.S.A: Greyhounds of
          the Trans-Mississippi"
          > by Richard Lowe? I have seen it at the bookstore near my house.
          It looks good but I do
          > not have enough interest to spend the money.
          >
          > Have you seen this website:
          http://www.angelfire.com/tx/RandysTexas/page3.html

          Yes, that is the book! I have not seen it in a bookstore yet, just
          online. That is a great website to which you posted a link, thank
          you. My g-g-grandfather was in the First Brigade, Company D. It was
          great to see the muster roll there, as well.

          -Sam
        • basecat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2004
            In a message dated 7/13/2004 11:30:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sambeaux64@... writes:

            Hello all,

            I just noticed that a book has been published about this group which
            fought at Vicksburg as well as the Red River campaign. Has anyone
            read the book yet? Anybody here have any info on these soldiers who
            were known as "Walker's Greyhounds"?

            thanks,
            Sam

            Sam,

            I just picked up a copy of the book here recently, but have not had the time to read it.  It looks to be a decent Division study on the Texans and their service during the Civil War.  The only reason why I picked it up, was I rarely come across books here in NJ dealing with the Trans Mississippi Theater of the war.

            Hope this helps.  The exact title is "Walker's Texas Division C.S.A.- Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi" by Richard Lowe.  It is published by LSU Press.

            Regards from the Garden State,

            Steve Basic
          • virginia_cajun
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Shurtleff"
              <sambeaux64@y...> wrote:

              The book is the first modern history of Walker's Texas Infantry
              Division, and Professor Lowe did an excellent job with it. Anyone
              interested in the Trans-Mississippi Department should at least read
              the book if not purchase a copy.

              Art Bergeron