RE: [civilwarwest] more than one shot in a musket

  • Daniel Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2004

                                                 Paul,

                  I am nowhere near my books, so I cannot provide specifics, but it seems to me, the results varied. Some would fire normally, and others would jam. On several occasions, following intense fighting, it was found that during the frenzy of combat, the individual soldiers would load, forget to fire, and reload. On some occasions this caused burst barrels, on others it caused – I would imagine – a heck of a recoil. Hope this helps – and again, I am away from my books, and this is just my memory talking.-----Dan

      What will happen if a soldier loads more than one shot in their musket and fires?

      Help stop spam and pop-ups in there tracks With MSN Premium Get 2 Months FREE*

    • jblake47
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Giallombardo"
        <ParrotheadDan@l...> wrote:
        > Paul,
        >
        > I am nowhere near my books, so I cannot provide
        specifics, but
        > it seems to me, the results varied. Some would fire normally, and
        others
        > would jam. On several occasions, following intense fighting, it was
        found
        > that during the frenzy of combat, the individual soldiers would
        load, forget
        > to fire, and reload.

        No one who was as well trained as these men in the routine of load
        and fire would "forget" to fire. This knowledge is what kept them
        alive on the battlefield. They were very well-versed in the
        operation of the musket. With that being said, the roar of battle
        often times would cover up the noise of one's own gun. If there was
        a mis-fire the soldier probably didn't know it. With the use of the
        minie ball, the kick was not always noticeable in a cleaner weapon
        when the pressure of the discharge was able to get around the ball.
        Double loading was quite probable in this mis-fire situation.

        More often than not I would assume the multiple load of a musket came
        from the fact that blackpowder is very fouling in the piece. Once it
        became difficult, if not impossible to ram the cartridge down the
        barrel, the soldier had only a couple of options. 1) poor water down
        the barrel of the gun and ram the soften carbon out of the weapon, 2)
        if you have one, ram down a zinc-ring cartridge to scrape the barrel
        a little cleaner, or 3) drop the musket and pick up another with the
        hopes it is cleaner than the one you had. If this is done, it is
        wise to check the barrel to see if there is any obstructions in it
        first. In the heat of battle, it would take about 10-15 seconds to
        do this. If there wasn't enough time, put a cartridge down and if it
        wouldn't go down all the way, grab another. Keep doing this until
        you have a gun that can fire. Just because a gun was double loaded,
        doesn't mean the soldier didn't do something right or that he even
        tried to fire it in this condition. Remember, once a cartridge went
        down the barrel, it was impossible under fire to clear it back out.
        Just get another gun and move on.

        Jeff
      • Art Bagley
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
          Greetings All...

          Wasn't there a technique called "pulling a round," where a soldier
          could actually unload [unjam] his rifle by using a screw-tipped
          ramrod or some such tool -- a "worm"? -- thereby clearing a minie
          ball-clogged barrel? Maybe I'm thinking on the larger scale of
          artillery, but I believe good ol' yankee [and rebel] ingenuity could
          solve the multi-load problem.

          Art B.
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
            After a battle the collected small arms were refurbished and reused.

            In camp, a soldier was expected to draw a charge on a jammed or
            otherwise loaded weapon.

            On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and find
            one in proper condition...

            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@u...>
            wrote:
            > Greetings All...
            >
            > Wasn't there a technique called "pulling a round," where a soldier
            > could actually unload [unjam] his rifle by using a screw-tipped
            > ramrod or some such tool -- a "worm"? -- thereby clearing a minie
            > ball-clogged barrel? Maybe I'm thinking on the larger scale of
            > artillery, but I believe good ol' yankee [and rebel] ingenuity
            could
            > solve the multi-load problem.
            >
            > Art B.
          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
              Precisely, by no means was a mistakenly overloaded musket unmanageable
              given some time... but in combat, there couldn't possibly be time to
              go through the procecure

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

              > On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and find
              > one in proper condition...
              >

              > HankC

            • jblake47
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
                wrote:
                > Precisely, by no means was a mistakenly overloaded musket
                unmanageable
                > given some time... but in combat, there couldn't possibly be time to
                > go through the procecure

                It could be the fact that many of the weapons became overloaded by
                use of two different soldiers on the field. If one's gun became
                clogged due to blackpowder residue, drop it and pick another one up.
                At that point, one does not know if the gun is loaded or not. One
                could pull the rammer and test it, or they could load another round
                and if it didn't go all the way in, drop it and find another. Now
                you have a discarded weapon with two rounds it in and it was no
                mistake on anyone's part.

                I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                find an empty gun with a rammer. Just pick it up, load it and if it
                loads great, if not, try another. There were plenty to be had.

                Jeff

                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
                >

                > > On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and
                find
                > > one in proper condition...
                > >

                > > HankC

              • carlw4514
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jblake47" <jblake47@y...> wrote:

                  > It could be the fact that many of the weapons became overloaded by
                  > use of two different soldiers on the field.

                  Having a muzzleloader myself, I would say that there would be several
                  ways in which a gun could get overloaded:
                  -the above could happen, as the second soldier would be not quite as
                  familiar with the weapon's idiosyncracies... one's own musket would be
                  harder to misload this way, as for example it is common to make a mark
                  on the ramrod to show how far it should go down the barrel when all is
                  proper. Different ramrods could even be different lengths.
                  -placing a ball before the powder [easy to do if having run out of
                  prepared rounds and having to locate separate powder and ball] and
                  then loading another round mistakingly assuming the gun actually
                  fired, what with all the noise. Examining the ramrod's extension would
                  still detect the error, but not so easily.
                  -the endangerment scenario: failing to put a cap or not realizing it
                  was a faulty cap, overloading, putting a proper cap on and rupturing
                  the barrell when firing, with injury certain and death possible.
                  Again, that noise of battle bit could mask the initial mistake. A real
                  Vet might perhaps always try to be certain he felt the recoil.
                  -the below, if the ignition of the cap fails to reach the powder due
                  to fouling, in the excitement of battle one might make this
                  overloading mistake on an otherwise properly loaded weapon, even on a
                  familiar one.... no veteran would put "multiple loads" though, IMO,
                  which has a comical aspect when one tries to envision a green trooper
                  going through this, assuming he is firing all along. Finally, the
                  ramrod sticks so far out even a dolt knows he has to find another weapon!!

                  > If one's gun became
                  > clogged due to blackpowder residue, drop it and pick another one up.
                  > At that point, one does not know if the gun is loaded or not. One
                  > could pull the rammer and test it, or they could load another round
                  > and if it didn't go all the way in, drop it and find another. Now
                  > you have a discarded weapon with two rounds it in and it was no
                  > mistake on anyone's part.
                  >
                  > I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                  > find an empty gun with a rammer. Just pick it up, load it and if it
                  > loads great, if not, try another. There were plenty to be had.

                  Interesting that we find this a fascinating topic.

                  > Jeff

                  Carl
                • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                    In a message dated 8/7/2004 7:44:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                    I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                    > find an empty gun with a rammer.  Just pick it up, load it and if it
                    > loads great, if not, try another.  There were plenty to be had.

                    Interesting that we find this a fascinating topic.

                    > Jeff

                    Carl
                    If you have any questions on CW weaponry, you might contact JGBilby44@... .  He is one of the foremost experts in the country on this topic and his books should be part of everyone's collection.

                    JEJ