more than one shot in a musket

  • Paul Liu
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2004
      What will happen if a soldier loads more than one shot in their musket and fires?

      Help stop spam and pop-ups in there tracks With MSN Premium Get 2 Months FREE*
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2004
        In a message dated 7/11/2004 3:25:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stupid1961@... writes:

        What will happen if a soldier loads more than one shot in their musket and fires?

        Am no musket expert here, but two things would happen, one..the gun would explode, the other, if said soldier had loaded quite a bit of ammo, the gun would be so fouled up, it just would not work.  Am sure you will get a better answer from elsewhere in here.

        Regards from the Garden State,

        Steve Basic
      • aot1952
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11, 2004
          Paul-
          If the person only 'double' loaded it (that is with two shots) it
          will recoil (kick) like a mule usually but not blow up in face . As
          basecat indicates if greater load than two the shooter is running
          an increasing risk of the musket simply exploding in his face and
          likely injuring him and two or three of his pards in close order
          formation with him. Some people call this a 'blow back'. Even a
          double load with minnie balls runs a real risk of this. It
          is 'Physics' as I understand it, the increased minnies expand and
          require more thrust to expell from weapon than the barrell could
          contain without spliting the metal or blowing out the nipple.
          Of course what apparently often happened was that in the excitment
          of battle, soldiers forgot to place the cap on the musket and thus
          would load and not fire numerous times.
          I do not believe anyone was ever initially taught or permited
          to 'double load' with minnies in an attempt to somehow increase
          their fire power. A little different situation with smoothbore 'buck
          and ball' weapons instead of minnies in rifled musket since by
          design buck and balls did not 'expand' in the barrell.
          Heth, in his Musket Manual covers this situation pretty intensely ,
          I believe.
          I could be wrong-
          Regards-
          Wakefield---

        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2004
            Having hunted with muzzleloaders, I think I have gotten a little
            insight into this:
            -basecat and wakefield are right, it is certainly easy to create a
            dangerous situation, but it is somewhat less likely than it might
            seem, because if you, for example, put a load of powder and then a
            ball and then on top of that put another load of each, your ramrod
            sticks so far up out of the barrel you should know you have goofed.
            This of course assumes you have some training and are not out of your
            mind with fear. [Training would have you not assume you just can't get
            the ramrod down due to fouling but it is ok to fire... one does not
            fire the musket in this condition as this also creates damage, the
            powder and ball must be tight to the breech end]

            Of course, most of us know that muskets have been found on ACW
            battlefields with multiple loads. Here is how I think this happens:
            1] the musket is loaded with a ball but the powder has been forgotten.
            this is GUARANTEED to happen to you some time or another even if you
            are just doing target practice far from any excitement. There are a
            couple of techniques for correcting this.
            2] in battle the musket is capped and the soldier hears a load bang,
            or the bangs of guns around him, and in the excitement of battle does
            not realize he didn't feel the recoil.
            3] the soldier reloads powder and ball on top of his powderless round
            which is still in the barrel. He caps his musket and fires, hearing
            another bang, but the misplaced ball on the bottom prevents ignition.
            4] he assumes he has fired; he loads again on top of all this; at this
            point he should notice the ramrod is not going in far enough. All of
            this IMO could happen to a veteran up to this point, but only a green
            soldier would then load yet another round on top of his misloaded
            musket; yet certainly even these have been found on battlefields, I
            have seen the term "multiple" to describe them... at some point the
            error is realized and the musket thrown away, I guess.
            -hope this gives some insight,
            Carl

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "aot1952" <aot1952@y...> wrote:
            > Paul-
            > If the person only 'double' loaded it (that is with two shots) it
            > will recoil (kick) like a mule usually but not blow up in face . As
            > basecat indicates if greater load than two the shooter is running
            > an increasing risk of the musket simply exploding in his face and
            > likely injuring him and two or three of his pards in close order
            > formation with him. Some people call this a 'blow back'. Even a
            > double load with minnie balls runs a real risk of this. It
            > is 'Physics' as I understand it, the increased minnies expand and
            > require more thrust to expell from weapon than the barrell could
            > contain without spliting the metal or blowing out the nipple.
            > Of course what apparently often happened was that in the excitment
            > of battle, soldiers forgot to place the cap on the musket and thus
            > would load and not fire numerous times.
            > I do not believe anyone was ever initially taught or permited
            > to 'double load' with minnies in an attempt to somehow increase
            > their fire power. A little different situation with smoothbore 'buck
            > and ball' weapons instead of minnies in rifled musket since by
            > design buck and balls did not 'expand' in the barrell.
            > Heth, in his Musket Manual covers this situation pretty intensely ,
            > I believe.
            > I could be wrong-
            > Regards-
            > Wakefield---

          • Daniel Giallombardo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2004

                                                         Paul,

                          I am nowhere near my books, so I cannot provide specifics, but it seems to me, the results varied. Some would fire normally, and others would jam. On several occasions, following intense fighting, it was found that during the frenzy of combat, the individual soldiers would load, forget to fire, and reload. On some occasions this caused burst barrels, on others it caused – I would imagine – a heck of a recoil. Hope this helps – and again, I am away from my books, and this is just my memory talking.-----Dan

              What will happen if a soldier loads more than one shot in their musket and fires?

              Help stop spam and pop-ups in there tracks With MSN Premium Get 2 Months FREE*

            • jblake47
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2004
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Giallombardo"
                <ParrotheadDan@l...> wrote:
                > Paul,
                >
                > I am nowhere near my books, so I cannot provide
                specifics, but
                > it seems to me, the results varied. Some would fire normally, and
                others
                > would jam. On several occasions, following intense fighting, it was
                found
                > that during the frenzy of combat, the individual soldiers would
                load, forget
                > to fire, and reload.

                No one who was as well trained as these men in the routine of load
                and fire would "forget" to fire. This knowledge is what kept them
                alive on the battlefield. They were very well-versed in the
                operation of the musket. With that being said, the roar of battle
                often times would cover up the noise of one's own gun. If there was
                a mis-fire the soldier probably didn't know it. With the use of the
                minie ball, the kick was not always noticeable in a cleaner weapon
                when the pressure of the discharge was able to get around the ball.
                Double loading was quite probable in this mis-fire situation.

                More often than not I would assume the multiple load of a musket came
                from the fact that blackpowder is very fouling in the piece. Once it
                became difficult, if not impossible to ram the cartridge down the
                barrel, the soldier had only a couple of options. 1) poor water down
                the barrel of the gun and ram the soften carbon out of the weapon, 2)
                if you have one, ram down a zinc-ring cartridge to scrape the barrel
                a little cleaner, or 3) drop the musket and pick up another with the
                hopes it is cleaner than the one you had. If this is done, it is
                wise to check the barrel to see if there is any obstructions in it
                first. In the heat of battle, it would take about 10-15 seconds to
                do this. If there wasn't enough time, put a cartridge down and if it
                wouldn't go down all the way, grab another. Keep doing this until
                you have a gun that can fire. Just because a gun was double loaded,
                doesn't mean the soldier didn't do something right or that he even
                tried to fire it in this condition. Remember, once a cartridge went
                down the barrel, it was impossible under fire to clear it back out.
                Just get another gun and move on.

                Jeff
              • Art Bagley
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                  Greetings All...

                  Wasn't there a technique called "pulling a round," where a soldier
                  could actually unload [unjam] his rifle by using a screw-tipped
                  ramrod or some such tool -- a "worm"? -- thereby clearing a minie
                  ball-clogged barrel? Maybe I'm thinking on the larger scale of
                  artillery, but I believe good ol' yankee [and rebel] ingenuity could
                  solve the multi-load problem.

                  Art B.
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                    After a battle the collected small arms were refurbished and reused.

                    In camp, a soldier was expected to draw a charge on a jammed or
                    otherwise loaded weapon.

                    On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and find
                    one in proper condition...

                    HankC

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bagley" <abagley@u...>
                    wrote:
                    > Greetings All...
                    >
                    > Wasn't there a technique called "pulling a round," where a soldier
                    > could actually unload [unjam] his rifle by using a screw-tipped
                    > ramrod or some such tool -- a "worm"? -- thereby clearing a minie
                    > ball-clogged barrel? Maybe I'm thinking on the larger scale of
                    > artillery, but I believe good ol' yankee [and rebel] ingenuity
                    could
                    > solve the multi-load problem.
                    >
                    > Art B.
                  • carlw4514
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Precisely, by no means was a mistakenly overloaded musket unmanageable
                      given some time... but in combat, there couldn't possibly be time to
                      go through the procecure

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

                      > On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and find
                      > one in proper condition...
                      >

                      > HankC

                    • jblake47
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6, 2004
                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Precisely, by no means was a mistakenly overloaded musket
                        unmanageable
                        > given some time... but in combat, there couldn't possibly be time to
                        > go through the procecure

                        It could be the fact that many of the weapons became overloaded by
                        use of two different soldiers on the field. If one's gun became
                        clogged due to blackpowder residue, drop it and pick another one up.
                        At that point, one does not know if the gun is loaded or not. One
                        could pull the rammer and test it, or they could load another round
                        and if it didn't go all the way in, drop it and find another. Now
                        you have a discarded weapon with two rounds it in and it was no
                        mistake on anyone's part.

                        I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                        find an empty gun with a rammer. Just pick it up, load it and if it
                        loads great, if not, try another. There were plenty to be had.

                        Jeff

                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > On the battlefield it was much easier to discard the weapon and
                        find
                        > > one in proper condition...
                        > >

                        > > HankC

                      • carlw4514
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jblake47" <jblake47@y...> wrote:

                          > It could be the fact that many of the weapons became overloaded by
                          > use of two different soldiers on the field.

                          Having a muzzleloader myself, I would say that there would be several
                          ways in which a gun could get overloaded:
                          -the above could happen, as the second soldier would be not quite as
                          familiar with the weapon's idiosyncracies... one's own musket would be
                          harder to misload this way, as for example it is common to make a mark
                          on the ramrod to show how far it should go down the barrel when all is
                          proper. Different ramrods could even be different lengths.
                          -placing a ball before the powder [easy to do if having run out of
                          prepared rounds and having to locate separate powder and ball] and
                          then loading another round mistakingly assuming the gun actually
                          fired, what with all the noise. Examining the ramrod's extension would
                          still detect the error, but not so easily.
                          -the endangerment scenario: failing to put a cap or not realizing it
                          was a faulty cap, overloading, putting a proper cap on and rupturing
                          the barrell when firing, with injury certain and death possible.
                          Again, that noise of battle bit could mask the initial mistake. A real
                          Vet might perhaps always try to be certain he felt the recoil.
                          -the below, if the ignition of the cap fails to reach the powder due
                          to fouling, in the excitement of battle one might make this
                          overloading mistake on an otherwise properly loaded weapon, even on a
                          familiar one.... no veteran would put "multiple loads" though, IMO,
                          which has a comical aspect when one tries to envision a green trooper
                          going through this, assuming he is firing all along. Finally, the
                          ramrod sticks so far out even a dolt knows he has to find another weapon!!

                          > If one's gun became
                          > clogged due to blackpowder residue, drop it and pick another one up.
                          > At that point, one does not know if the gun is loaded or not. One
                          > could pull the rammer and test it, or they could load another round
                          > and if it didn't go all the way in, drop it and find another. Now
                          > you have a discarded weapon with two rounds it in and it was no
                          > mistake on anyone's part.
                          >
                          > I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                          > find an empty gun with a rammer. Just pick it up, load it and if it
                          > loads great, if not, try another. There were plenty to be had.

                          Interesting that we find this a fascinating topic.

                          > Jeff

                          Carl
                        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 7, 2004
                            In a message dated 8/7/2004 7:44:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                            I would think it would not behoove anyone to run around trying to
                            > find an empty gun with a rammer.  Just pick it up, load it and if it
                            > loads great, if not, try another.  There were plenty to be had.

                            Interesting that we find this a fascinating topic.

                            > Jeff

                            Carl
                            If you have any questions on CW weaponry, you might contact JGBilby44@... .  He is one of the foremost experts in the country on this topic and his books should be part of everyone's collection.

                            JEJ