Re: Cassville - books or articles

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004

      > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
      > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
      bad.

      A better explanation is that Cassville was Hood's first battle not
      under the direct, eyeball supervision of immediate superiors. He had
      to think and act on his own and was spooked by a small force of
      cavalry on his far right flank.

      Every previous action had Longstreet, Lee or Jackson very near by for
      onsulatation and responsibility.

      HankC
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
        In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, mgrad29@... writes:
        Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
        that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

        Thanks

        Marc
        Personally Marc, I do believe he was capable of doing such an act.

        JEJ

        PS   Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night    JEJ
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
          A cautionary tale indeed. Got you through your phone line?

          > PS Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night JEJ
        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
            Sorry to interrupt, but JEJ contact me via private email when you get the chance.  I sent one to your AOL address but no response.  Thanks.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com