Re: Cassville - books or articles

  • mgrad29
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      Bill,

      Great site,

      Thanks!!!

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown"
      <william.h.brown@n...> wrote:
      > > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around
      Cassville
      > > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or
      magazine
      > > article?
      > >
      > > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the
      possibility
      > > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
      bad.

      > This listing might be of some help...
      >
      > http://carlisle-
      www.army.mil/usamhi/Bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/CivilWar/ba
      ttles/1864/west/Atlanta.doc

      > Good Luck,
      > Bill
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away
      with it
      > all right"
      > Basil
      Fawlty
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > William H. (Bill) Brown
      > Editor II, Governors' Documentaries
      > Historical Publications Section (Office of Archives and History)
      > http://www.ncpublications.com/

      ~~~~~~
      > ~~~~~~~
      > "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of
      my
      > agency & E-Mail
      > to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
      business, is
      > subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
      disclosed to
      > third parties."
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004

        > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
        > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
        bad.

        A better explanation is that Cassville was Hood's first battle not
        under the direct, eyeball supervision of immediate superiors. He had
        to think and act on his own and was spooked by a small force of
        cavalry on his far right flank.

        Every previous action had Longstreet, Lee or Jackson very near by for
        onsulatation and responsibility.

        HankC
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
          In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, mgrad29@... writes:
          Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
          that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

          Thanks

          Marc
          Personally Marc, I do believe he was capable of doing such an act.

          JEJ

          PS   Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night    JEJ
        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
            A cautionary tale indeed. Got you through your phone line?

            > PS Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night JEJ
          • Dick Weeks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
              Sorry to interrupt, but JEJ contact me via private email when you get the chance.  I sent one to your AOL address but no response.  Thanks.

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
              http://www.civilwarhome.com