Re: Cassville - books or articles

  • mgrad29
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      Thanks Sam for those suggested works. Actually I am familiar with
      these three books, but I will go back to them and check their
      footnotes for additional source material.

      Specifically, I was looking for journal articles, dissertations, and
      or other sources of information which focus on Cassville and/or that
      period of the Atlanta campaign after the battle of Resaca and before
      Sherman left the railroad on his Western thrust towards Dallas.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > mgrad29@b... writes:
      >
      > > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around
      Cassville
      > > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or
      magazine
      > > article?
      > >

      > Obvious referrals would be to Castel's Decision in the West and
      McMurry's
      > Atlanta 1864. There is an extensive discussion, however, of
      Cassville and the
      > CS high command in Connelly's Autumn of Glory.
      >
      > Sam Elliott
    • mgrad29
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Bill,

        Great site,

        Thanks!!!

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown"
        <william.h.brown@n...> wrote:
        > > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around
        Cassville
        > > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or
        magazine
        > > article?
        > >
        > > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the
        possibility
        > > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
        bad.

        > This listing might be of some help...
        >
        > http://carlisle-
        www.army.mil/usamhi/Bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/CivilWar/ba
        ttles/1864/west/Atlanta.doc

        > Good Luck,
        > Bill
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away
        with it
        > all right"
        > Basil
        Fawlty
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > William H. (Bill) Brown
        > Editor II, Governors' Documentaries
        > Historical Publications Section (Office of Archives and History)
        > http://www.ncpublications.com/

        ~~~~~~
        > ~~~~~~~
        > "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of
        my
        > agency & E-Mail
        > to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
        business, is
        > subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
        disclosed to
        > third parties."
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004

          > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
          > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
          bad.

          A better explanation is that Cassville was Hood's first battle not
          under the direct, eyeball supervision of immediate superiors. He had
          to think and act on his own and was spooked by a small force of
          cavalry on his far right flank.

          Every previous action had Longstreet, Lee or Jackson very near by for
          onsulatation and responsibility.

          HankC
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
            In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, mgrad29@... writes:
            Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
            that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

            Thanks

            Marc
            Personally Marc, I do believe he was capable of doing such an act.

            JEJ

            PS   Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night    JEJ
          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
              A cautionary tale indeed. Got you through your phone line?

              > PS Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night JEJ
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15, 2004
                Sorry to interrupt, but JEJ contact me via private email when you get the chance.  I sent one to your AOL address but no response.  Thanks.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com