Cassville - books or articles

  • mgrad29
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 6:22 AM
      I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around Cassville
      during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or magazine
      article?

      Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
      that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

      Thanks

      Marc
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 10:23 AM
        In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mgrad29@... writes:

        I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around Cassville
        during the Atlanta Campaign.  Can someone suggest a book or magazine
        article?

        Obvious referrals would be to Castel's Decision in the West and McMurry's Atlanta 1864.   There is an extensive discussion, however, of Cassville and the CS high command in Connelly's Autumn of Glory.

        Sam Elliott
      • Bill Brown
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 12:02 PM
          > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around Cassville
          > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or magazine
          > article?
          >
          > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
          > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

          This listing might be of some help...

          http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/Bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/CivilWar/battles/1864/west/Atlanta.doc

          Good Luck,
          Bill

          "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it
          all right"
          Basil Fawlty
          William H. (Bill) Brown
          Editor II, Governors' Documentaries
          Historical Publications Section (Office of Archives and History)
          http://www.ncpublications.com/
          ~~~~~~~
          "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
          agency & E-Mail
          to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is
          subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to
          third parties."
        • mgrad29
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 12:03 PM
            Thanks Sam for those suggested works. Actually I am familiar with
            these three books, but I will go back to them and check their
            footnotes for additional source material.

            Specifically, I was looking for journal articles, dissertations, and
            or other sources of information which focus on Cassville and/or that
            period of the Atlanta campaign after the battle of Resaca and before
            Sherman left the railroad on his Western thrust towards Dallas.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > mgrad29@b... writes:
            >
            > > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around
            Cassville
            > > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or
            magazine
            > > article?
            > >

            > Obvious referrals would be to Castel's Decision in the West and
            McMurry's
            > Atlanta 1864. There is an extensive discussion, however, of
            Cassville and the
            > CS high command in Connelly's Autumn of Glory.
            >
            > Sam Elliott
          • mgrad29
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 12:59 PM
              Bill,

              Great site,

              Thanks!!!

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown"
              <william.h.brown@n...> wrote:
              > > I'm trying to expand my understanding of the actions around
              Cassville
              > > during the Atlanta Campaign. Can someone suggest a book or
              magazine
              > > article?
              > >
              > > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the
              possibility
              > > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
              bad.

              > This listing might be of some help...
              >
              > http://carlisle-
              www.army.mil/usamhi/Bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/CivilWar/ba
              ttles/1864/west/Atlanta.doc

              > Good Luck,
              > Bill
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away
              with it
              > all right"
              > Basil
              Fawlty
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > William H. (Bill) Brown
              > Editor II, Governors' Documentaries
              > Historical Publications Section (Office of Archives and History)
              > http://www.ncpublications.com/

              ~~~~~~
              > ~~~~~~~
              > "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of
              my
              > agency & E-Mail
              > to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
              business, is
              > subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
              disclosed to
              > third parties."
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2 11:57 AM

                > Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
                > that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look
                bad.

                A better explanation is that Cassville was Hood's first battle not
                under the direct, eyeball supervision of immediate superiors. He had
                to think and act on his own and was spooked by a small force of
                cavalry on his far right flank.

                Every previous action had Longstreet, Lee or Jackson very near by for
                onsulatation and responsibility.

                HankC
              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15 1:25 PM
                  In a message dated 7/1/2004 9:25:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, mgrad29@... writes:
                  Would be interested also in anything that discusses the possibility
                  that Hood intentionally botched the attack to make Johnston look bad.

                  Thanks

                  Marc
                  Personally Marc, I do believe he was capable of doing such an act.

                  JEJ

                  PS   Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night    JEJ
                • carlw4514
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15 2:16 PM
                    A cautionary tale indeed. Got you through your phone line?

                    > PS Lightning on June 27th put me out of action until last night JEJ
                  • Dick Weeks
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15 6:43 PM
                      Sorry to interrupt, but JEJ contact me via private email when you get the chance.  I sent one to your AOL address but no response.  Thanks.

                      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                      http://www.civilwarhome.com