"Days of Glory" Remark

  • George Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
      I am finishing "Days of Glory" by Daniel and would be interested in
      any elaboration that might be available to a comment in his preface.
      He noted that Turchin's brigade had perfuctorily carried the
      title "Iron Brigade". On page 335 he noted that Willich's Brigade
      was known as the "Iron Brigade" of the AOC, for a charge it made
      late in day 2, Chicamuagua. Can you clarify?
      George Hall
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
        This type of discussion has been known to elicit violent responses from fans
        of the Wisconsin/Indiana/Michigan "Iron Brigade". Tom Clemens has pretty
        much conclusively proven that the brigade traditionally known as the Iron
        Brigade was not even the first brigade in the Army of the Potomac to earn
        that moniker.

        Harry

        I am finishing "Days of Glory" by Daniel and would be interested in
        any elaboration that might be available to a comment in his preface.
        He noted that Turchin's brigade had perfuctorily carried the
        title "Iron Brigade". On page 335 he noted that Willich's Brigade
        was known as the "Iron Brigade" of the AOC, for a charge it made
        late in day 2, Chicamuagua. Can you clarify?
        George Hall

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ryan Kennedy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
          I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the first Iron Brigade. The
          regiments were all raised in the area where I grew up.

          Ryan Kennedy

          >From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
          >To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] "Days of Glory" Remark
          >Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:50:39 -0400
          >
          >This type of discussion has been known to elicit violent responses from
          >fans
          >of the Wisconsin/Indiana/Michigan "Iron Brigade". Tom Clemens has pretty
          >much conclusively proven that the brigade traditionally known as the Iron
          >Brigade was not even the first brigade in the Army of the Potomac to earn
          >that moniker.
          >
          >Harry

          MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
            Let me guess, Ryan. You are from New York?

            Harry

            I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the first Iron Brigade. The
            regiments were all raised in the area where I grew up.

            Ryan Kennedy

            >From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
            >To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] "Days of Glory" Remark
            >Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:50:39 -0400
            >
            >This type of discussion has been known to elicit violent responses from
            >fans
            >of the Wisconsin/Indiana/Michigan "Iron Brigade". Tom Clemens has pretty
            >much conclusively proven that the brigade traditionally known as the Iron
            >Brigade was not even the first brigade in the Army of the Potomac to earn
            >that moniker.
            >
            >Harry

          • Ryan Kennedy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
              Indeed I am/was. I grew up in the Troy area but live in Carlisle, PA at the
              moment.

              Ryan Kennedy

              >From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
              >To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] "Days of Glory" Remark
              >Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:40:50 -0400
              >
              >Let me guess, Ryan. You are from New York?
              >
              >Harry

              Make the most of your family vacation with tips from the MSN Family Travel
              Guide! http://dollar.msn.com