A little bit of irony...

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2004
      I have been driving home from Clinton to Jackson directly through the
      old fortifications. One day on a lark, I decided to follow the
      topography of the ridge on which the fortifications were built to how
      the Confederate defenses of Jackson corresponded to local landmarks.
      I was criss-crossing streets for a couple of miles, trying to follow
      this ridge when my progress was interrupted by a large iron gate.

      It turns out that the old fortifications run right through the center
      of Jackson State University, the state's premier historically black
      college where 100 years later highway patrol officers would battle
      with students during the civil rights protests.