Re: Johnston's retreat from Jackson

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11 11:30 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:

      > It's also interesting to note that if Sherman had been really
      > aggressive, he could have trapped Gregg in the Clinton Road salient
      > from the south.

      Actually, this is incorrect. Lynch Creek is just as bad as Town
      Creek, so Sherman would have been in the same predicament. He
      probably waited until the flash flood subsided, then forced his way
      across the (now fordable) Lynch Creek only to find a handful of State
      Troops manning the works. Since Town Creek would have become
      fordable even sooner at that particular point on the creek, it really
      wouldn't have slowed down McPherson that much to destroy the bridge
      after all, so I think you're right.

      It just seems a shame that such a strong position as was offered by
      the Jackson fortifications couldn't have been used to bloody
      McPherson's nose a bit before Gregg withdrew.