atlanta

  • William A. Turnier
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 26, 2001
      at this moment i am living in atlanta and i would like to Visit some battle
      sites. i know there are no atlatna battles that survived but i would like
      to go and see some of the places. most importanly i wouldlike to see the
      places where McPherson was shot. you really can't look at the old maps and
      guesstamante where things are. you can't find anything. I have an interst
      of looking at the battles sites them and not.l it put things in persective.

      thank you

      William Turnier
    • David Woodbury
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
        At 8:31 PM +0000 1/26/01, William A. Turnier wrote:
        >at this moment i am living in atlanta and i would like to Visit some battle
        >sites. i know there are no atlatna battles that survived but i would like
        >to go and see some of the places. most importanly i wouldlike to see the
        >places where McPherson was shot. you really can't look at the old maps and
        >guesstamante where things are.

        Several years ago "Blue & Gray" magazine did a 3-issue special on the
        Atlanta Campaign, with the third issue covering sites in and around
        the city itself. It had a very useful map which placed the historic
        events over a modern street map, and so made it easy to find these
        spots.

        I'm guessing that the bookstore at the Cyclorama, or the Atlanta
        History Center, sells that issue. It's worth a phone call. No doubt
        someone locally has also produced something like a "Civil War
        Atlanta" guidebook.

        On a further note, you should consider joining the Atlanta Civil War
        Round Table -- folks there will be able to show you much more.

        David
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
          In a message dated 1/28/01 12:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          woodbury@... writes:

          << most importanly i wouldlike to see the
          >places where McPherson was shot. >>
          You can visit the McPherson monument in Atlanta that is placed supposively
          where he was killed. I highly advise that you get a police escort however in
          going to view it. Not in the most favorable neighborhood.
        • Baron VonTecumseh
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001

            William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so be careful. The Baron_________________________________________________________________
          • carlw4514@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
              it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

              > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
              > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
              > be careful. The
              > Baron_________________________________________________________________

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                In a message dated 1/29/01 12:26:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                carlw4514@... writes:

                << it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                > be careful. >>
                Like I said Carl in an earlier post, if you want to visit Mac's cannon on
                end monument, you had better get a police escort - nope, make that the
                National Guard escort.
              • Baron VonTecumseh
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                  carlw4514@... writes:

                  << it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                  > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                  > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                  > be careful. >>
                  Like I said Carl in an earlier post, if you want to visit Mac's cannon on
                  end monument, you had better get a police escort - nope, make that the
                  National Guard escort.
                  Well from what I,ve read here,it looks,like that part of Atlanta,
                  could use another little visit,from,Sherman!!!
                  The Baron
                • delete esq.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                    Well from what I,ve read here,it looks,like that part of Atlanta,
                    could use another little visit,from,Sherman!!!
                    The Baron

                    hahaha

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                      anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant of
                      sherman... but how did he earn this trust?

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                        In a message dated 1/30/01 10:02:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                        carlw4514@... writes:

                        << anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant of
                        sherman... but how did he earn this trust? >>
                        You might read this article on Mac

                        <A HREF="http://ngeorgia.com/people/mcpherson.html">James Birdseye
                        McPherson, Major General, Union Commander, Army of Tennessee</A>
                      • carlw4514@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                          Thank you, sir....

                          Make sure the Baron doesn't read this, it is critical of Sherman!

                          On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:47:49 EST FLYNSWEDE@... writes:
                          > In a message dated 1/30/01 10:02:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          > carlw4514@... writes:
                          >
                          > << anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant
                          > of
                          > sherman... but how did he earn this trust? >>
                          > You might read this article on Mac
                          >
                          > <A HREF="http://ngeorgia.com/people/mcpherson.html">James Birdseye
                          >
                          > McPherson, Major General, Union Commander, Army of Tennessee</A>

                          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                        • Peter Mancini
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001
                            --- In civilwarwest@y..., "William A. Turnier" <turnierwa@h...> wrote:
                            > Most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                            > places where McPherson was shot.

                            How many times was he shot?

                            I am not sure if he is the one, but one of the monuments to a fallen
                            officer is in the pick-up lane of a McDonalds Drive-Thru. I think
                            that is near Stones River/Murfreesboro however. I can't remember
                            right - I did a whirlwind tour of battlefields last summer in a two
                            week time span. I hit 6 battlefields including but not limited to
                            Stones River, Chicamauga, Chattanooga, Balls Bluff and Gettysburg.
                            Did it all by car. I am missing one battlefield out of that list, I
                            will have to revisit my notes. I think the funniest thing that I got
                            out of that trip was a list of "stupid questions" asked by tourists
                            at the battlefields. I got all sorts of classics.

                            --Peter
                          • Peter Mancini
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001
                                --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
                                > In a message dated 1/28/01 12:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                > woodbury@s... writes:
                                >
                                > << most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                                > >places where McPherson was shot. >>
                                > You can visit the McPherson monument in Atlanta that is placed
                                supposively
                                > where he was killed. I highly advise that you get a police escort
                                however in
                                > going to view it. Not in the most favorable neighborhood.

                                Why a police escort? It didn't help McPherson!