RE: [civilwarwest] US Grant vs John Barleycorn

  • John Beatty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      1) Grant suffered from malaria most of his life. He
      was probably exposed in childhood (several bouts with
      "ague" before West Point). The symptoms can look like
      intoxication, affectig the balance. Moreover, it can
      be painful in the heavy joints. Brooks Simpson
      discusses this at some length in his biography.

      2) Grant never weighed more than 140 pounds.

      3) The only analgesic generally available in the 19th
      Century was alcohol.

      Add it up. He was often a very sick fella, and to
      relieve the pain he took a drink from time to time.
      It didn't take a lot to make him appear and smell
      drunk.

      Over the years it just became a nasty rumor that he
      was a drunkard. It became convenient during the war
      to "report" drunkeness if you wanted to make him look bad.

      =====
      _________________________________
      John D. Beatty, Milwaukee Wisconsin
      AMCIVWAR.COM/AMCIVWAR.NET

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        In a message dated 6/1/2004 7:35:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:
        Brooks Simpson
        discusses this at some length in his biography.
        I miss Brooks.  Could it be possible that we beg him to rejoin our forum.

        JEJ
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          He is available in other forus.

          Frankly, his discourse in most of them does not serve him well...

          HankC