US Grant vs John Barleycorn

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2004
      Allot has been said about Grants drinking, or lack thereof.

      Discuss.

      Robert Johnson

      "Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2004

        Bob,

        What is the genesis of that quote that you are sending out?  I’ve heard it before but cannot recall where. It is a classic.

        Something on Grant later. For now, the drinking was over rated and less serious than some make it out to be.

        Thanks,

        Tom M.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2004

            Bob,

            It is of my opinion that Grant was not an alcoholic. He tended to drink more when he was lonely for his wife. During those times he would tend to drink. Now when this occurred he would get drunk. Since he did not drink on a regular basis this left him open to being a “fast drunk” since he had no resistance and it would hit him hard and fast. If he was a “social drinker” he would have build up a degree of tolerance but since he wasn’t it became an all or nothing deal with the results not being good for him. The man simply could not hold his liquor as some would say. Now I’m talking about during the Civil War. The California episode was a whole ‘nother experience.

            If you drank a couple of drinks a day or so for several years and then stopped for about five years and then decided to drink 2-3 drinks you would be drunk faster than you could imagine. That was Grant.

            Tom M.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
              1) Grant suffered from malaria most of his life. He
              was probably exposed in childhood (several bouts with
              "ague" before West Point). The symptoms can look like
              intoxication, affectig the balance. Moreover, it can
              be painful in the heavy joints. Brooks Simpson
              discusses this at some length in his biography.

              2) Grant never weighed more than 140 pounds.

              3) The only analgesic generally available in the 19th
              Century was alcohol.

              Add it up. He was often a very sick fella, and to
              relieve the pain he took a drink from time to time.
              It didn't take a lot to make him appear and smell
              drunk.

              Over the years it just became a nasty rumor that he
              was a drunkard. It became convenient during the war
              to "report" drunkeness if you wanted to make him look bad.

              =====
              _________________________________
              John D. Beatty, Milwaukee Wisconsin
              AMCIVWAR.COM/AMCIVWAR.NET

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
                In a message dated 6/1/2004 7:35:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:
                Brooks Simpson
                discusses this at some length in his biography.
                I miss Brooks.  Could it be possible that we beg him to rejoin our forum.

                JEJ
              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
                  He is available in other forus.

                  Frankly, his discourse in most of them does not serve him well...

                  HankC