My current reading list.

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 19 , May 26, 2004
      Chums

      Here is what I am currently reading;

      Dairy of a Confederate Soldier
      By John S. Jackman

      Johny Green of the Orphan Brigade
      The Journal of a Confederate Soldier
      By Johny Green

      The Campaign For Atlanta
      By William R. Scaife

      Next I think I am going to reread
      The Story Of A Common Soldier
      By Leander Stillwell

      I have been giving the Orphans a look after ignoring them for a very long time. I tend to abhor famous units such as the Iron Brigade 20th Maine etc. But there was definitely something special about the Orphans.

      Bob

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • R.W. (Bob) Taubman
      Message 2 of 19 , May 26, 2004
        From another Bob,

        Sherman's Horsemen
        by Dave Evans

        Atlanta Will Fall
        by Stephen Davis

        The March to the Sea and Beyond
        by Joseph Glatthar

        Waiting in the wings;

        If It Takes All Summer,
        by William D. Matter

        The Union Cavalry Comes of Age
        by Eric J. Wittneberg

        Bob Taubman

        I have been giving the Orphans a look after ignoring them for a very long time. I tend to abhor famous units such as the Iron Brigade 20th Maine etc. But there was definitely something special about the Orphans.

        Bob

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 19 , May 26, 2004

          Bob,

          Get toothpicks for you eyelids when you read Mater.  Lots of info, little style.  Except for Upton’s Attack.  He did a good job with that.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 19 , May 26, 2004
            I tried wading through, If It Takes All Summer, about this time last
            year.......and it DID take all summer.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
            wrote:
            > Bob,
            >

            > Get toothpicks for you eyelids when you read Mater. Lots of info,
            little
            > style. Except for Upton's Attack. He did a good job with that.
            >

            > Harry

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129s3h1gq/M=295920.4923769.6125018.4804107/D
            =groups
            > /S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1085691085/A=2161811/R=0/SIG=127l12sfl/*http:/
            visitors.
            > thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX2> click here
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=295920.4923769.6125018.4804107/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2161811/rand=830668094>
            >

            > _____
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • James W.
            Message 5 of 19 , May 26, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "R.W. \(Bob\) Taubman"
              <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
              > From another Bob,
              >
              > The Union Cavalry Comes of Age
              > by Eric J. Wittneberg

              I'm reading this now, I like the author and from "Protecting the
              Flanks" bought a number of his books.

              Next on my list is "Grant Comes East". Not history but "Gettysburg
              was great fun.

              after that;

              "When the Ripe Pears Fell"

              Bearss Vicksburg 3 vol set

              "Rebels at the Gate"

              Look to be the top of the list. I have 20 books on my "to read"
              list. I can buy them faster than I can read them.

              James2044
            • Tom Gilbert

                Message 7 of 19 , May 27, 2004
                  i am reading why the south lost the civil war-good reading insight into the war
                • Ray Todd Knight
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 27, 2004

                    > I have been giving the Orphans a look after ignoring them for a very
                    long time. I tend to abhor famous units such as the Iron Brigade 20th
                    Maine etc. But there was definitely something special about the Orphans.

                    > Bob

                    I just last night finished reading Ed Porter Thompson's "History of
                    the Orphan Brigade"
                    They were a pretty special unit, and not just cause my ancestor fought
                    with them :-)

                    Todd
                  • SDE80@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28, 2004
                      In a message dated 5/27/04 6:14:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tomgilbert68@... writes:

                      After having it age on my bookshelf a fair amount of time, I am finally reading Connelly's Army of Tennessee set, yesterday finished "Army of the Heartland", just for fun today I started Daniel's new book on the Army of the Cumberland to get a union perspective of Connelly vol 1, plan to read it to page 150 (Perryville), and then either continue Daniel or read Connelly 2 .. my next project is to read/re-read Cozzens' trilogy (I read part of the Stones River study and all of Chickamauga during my master's program a few years ago) .. all this after having realized that the bulk of my reading over the past 30 plus years has involved largely the eastern theater, the Mississippi valley, and the far west .. I have neglected the "center" .. Tom Gilbert

                      Good choice.  Daniel's book is modeled on Connelly's.   Does a pretty fair job, from what I have seen so far, although I think the days of publishers going for two volume sets like Connelly's are past.

                      Sam Elliott
                    • mobile_96
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 28, 2004
                        Just today finished "West Wind, Flood Tide, Battle of Mobile Bay", by
                        Jack Friend.
                        Also reading "An Unerring Fire, The Massacre at Fort Pillow".
                        For the B&N book group, "Sherman, A Soldier's Passion for Order" by
                        Marszalek.
                        along with "A Government of our Own" The Making of the Confederacy by
                        Davis.
                        Chuck in Il.
                      • James2044
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 29, 2004
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
                          > Good choice. Daniel's book is modeled on Connelly's. Does a
                          pretty fair
                          > job, from what I have seen so far, although I think the days of
                          publishers going
                          > for two volume sets like Connelly's are past.
                          >
                          > Sam Elliott

                          IMO, we are the poorer for it! Daniel's book should have staryed
                          with the model and been two volumes.

                          James2044
                        • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                            In a message dated 5/29/2004 4:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, james2044@... writes:

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
                            >Good choice.  Daniel's book is modeled on Connelly's.   Does a
                            pretty fair
                            >job, from what I have seen so far, although I think the days of
                            publishers going
                            >for two volume sets like Connelly's are past.
                            >
                            >Sam Elliott

                            IMO, we are the poorer for it!  Daniel's book should have staryed
                            with the model and been two volumes.

                            James2044

                            Poorer is right.  I just finished "Days of Glory" and Im at a loss as to how a history of the Army of the Cumberland ends with the battles of Franklin and Nashville being covered in ONE PAGE????  Am I mistaken that the AOC didnt cease to exist once the Atlanta campaign ended?

                            Kent Dorr
                          • James2044
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@a... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 5/29/2004 4:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              > james2044@h... writes:
                              >

                              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
                              > > >Good choice. Daniel's book is modeled on Connelly's. Does a
                              > > pretty fair
                              > > >job, from what I have seen so far, although I think the days of
                              > > publishers going
                              > > >for two volume sets like Connelly's are past.
                              > > >
                              > > >Sam Elliott
                              > >
                              > > IMO, we are the poorer for it! Daniel's book should have
                              staryed
                              > > with the model and been two volumes.
                              > >
                              > > James2044
                              >
                              > Poorer is right. I just finished "Days of Glory" and Im at a loss
                              as to how
                              > a history of the Army of the Cumberland ends with the battles of
                              Franklin and
                              > Nashville being covered in ONE PAGE???? Am I mistaken that the
                              AOC didnt
                              > cease to exist once the Atlanta campaign ended?
                              >

                              > Kent Dorr

                              Kent,

                              I had the same problem with this book.
                              It seems at some point "they" said "DONE, end it quick".
                              Another 100 to 150 pages was needed to tell the full story.

                              James2044
                            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                                In a message dated 5/30/2004 9:10:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                                Am I mistaken that the AOC didnt cease to exist once the Atlanta campaign ended?

                                Kent Dorr
                                IIRC the AOC was disbanded in July or August of 1865 at the same time the AOTT was disbanded and the south was divided then into military districts.

                                JEJ
                              • SDE80@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                                  In a message dated 5/30/04 9:10:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:

                                  Poorer is right.  I just finished "Days of Glory" and Im at a loss as to how a history of the Army of the Cumberland ends with the battles of Franklin and Nashville being covered in ONE PAGE????  Am I mistaken that the AOC didnt cease to exist once the Atlanta campaign ended?

                                  The historic AOC in fact did cease to exist.   The core of the old AOC was the XIV and the IV Corps.  Sherman took the XIV with him to Savannah and beyond, Thomas the IV to Nashville, where, with the XXIII Corps, they fought Hood.

                                  Sam Elliott
                                • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                                    In a message dated 5/30/2004 11:13:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, SDE80@... writes:

                                    The historic AOC in fact did cease to exist.   The core of the old AOC was the XIV and the IV Corps.  Sherman took the XIV with him to Savannah and beyond, Thomas the IV to Nashville, where, with the XXIII Corps, they fought Hood.

                                    Sam Elliott

                                    Sam..I understand the point and Daniels does make mention of  Shermans retention of the 14th Corps which is ironic since he did nothing but bitch to Grant about how slow they were during the Atlanta campaign.  I guess my question becomes this; If the story of the AOC ends with Sherman and Thomas taking parts of the Army, then what does one call the Federal entity that fought in Hoods 1864 Tenn campaign?  And does it deserve its own history (and Im not forgetting Swords work)?
                                          The comment about the publishers nixing a 2 volume study made me wonder if we were denied the rest of the story?  I was disappointed enough with Days of Glory and this ending was very abrupt.

                                    Kent Dorr
                                  • SDE80@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 30, 2004
                                      In a message dated 5/30/04 8:34:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:

                                      I guess my question becomes this; If the story of the AOC ends with Sherman and Thomas taking parts of the Army, then what does one call the Federal entity that fought in Hoods 1864 Tenn campaign?  And does it deserve its own history (and Im not forgetting Swords work)?
                                           The comment about the publishers nixing a 2 volume study made me wonder if we were denied the rest of the story?  I was disappointed enough with Days of Glory and this ending was very abrupt.

                                      I have not been told that the publishers nixed a 2 volume study, but it is an informed guess.

                                      I think Daniel simply had to have a stopping point, and following both of the divergent corps would have taken more space than the publisher could give him and keep the price of the book manageable.  Marketability is a concern, even for a university press.

                                      Although the entity that fought at Nashville was not the AOC, certainly it was the armed force of the Department of the Cumberland.   Does it deserve its own history?   I don't know.   As Daniel notes, if only Thomas had pressed for the XIV Corps to go back to Tennessee with him, he could have continued the story to the end of the war.

                                      Sam Elliott

                                    • Bob
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 31, 2004
                                        Sorry all, I'm a bit punchy right now.

                                        Didn't the 14th 15th 17th and 20th Corps become the the Army of Georgia?

                                        GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:
                                        In a message dated 5/30/2004 9:10:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                                        Am I mistaken that the AOC didnt cease to exist once the Atlanta campaign ended?

                                        Kent Dorr
                                        IIRC the AOC was disbanded in July or August of 1865 at the same time the AOTT was disbanded and the south was divided then into military districts.

                                        JEJ

                                        Robert Johnson

                                        "Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

                                        Do you Yahoo!?
                                      • SDE80@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 1, 2004
                                          In a message dated 6/1/2004 9:43:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, keepnhoakalive@... writes:

                                          Didn't the 14th 15th 17th and 20th Corps become the the Army of Georgia?

                                          14th and 20th was the Army of Georgia, 15th and 17th remained the Army of the Tennessee.

                                          Sam Elliott