atlanta

  • William A. Turnier
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 26, 2001
      at this moment i am living in atlanta and i would like to Visit some battle
      sites. i know there are no atlatna battles that survived but i would like
      to go and see some of the places. most importanly i wouldlike to see the
      places where McPherson was shot. you really can't look at the old maps and
      guesstamante where things are. you can't find anything. I have an interst
      of looking at the battles sites them and not.l it put things in persective.

      thank you

      William Turnier
    • William A. Turnier

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
          At 8:31 PM +0000 1/26/01, William A. Turnier wrote:
          >at this moment i am living in atlanta and i would like to Visit some battle
          >sites. i know there are no atlatna battles that survived but i would like
          >to go and see some of the places. most importanly i wouldlike to see the
          >places where McPherson was shot. you really can't look at the old maps and
          >guesstamante where things are.

          Several years ago "Blue & Gray" magazine did a 3-issue special on the
          Atlanta Campaign, with the third issue covering sites in and around
          the city itself. It had a very useful map which placed the historic
          events over a modern street map, and so made it easy to find these
          spots.

          I'm guessing that the bookstore at the Cyclorama, or the Atlanta
          History Center, sells that issue. It's worth a phone call. No doubt
          someone locally has also produced something like a "Civil War
          Atlanta" guidebook.

          On a further note, you should consider joining the Atlanta Civil War
          Round Table -- folks there will be able to show you much more.

          David
        • David Woodbury
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001

          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
              In a message dated 1/28/01 12:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              woodbury@... writes:

              << most importanly i wouldlike to see the
              >places where McPherson was shot. >>
              You can visit the McPherson monument in Atlanta that is placed supposively
              where he was killed. I highly advise that you get a police escort however in
              going to view it. Not in the most favorable neighborhood.
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
                woodbury@... writes:

                << most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                >places where McPherson was shot. >>
                You can visit the McPherson monument in Atlanta that is placed supposively
                where he was killed. I highly advise that you get a police escort however in
                going to view it. Not in the most favorable neighborhood.
              • Baron VonTecumseh
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001
                  On 26-Jan-01, William A. Turnier <turnierwa@...> wrote:
                  at this moment i am living in atlanta and i would like to Visit some battle
                  sites. i know there are no atlatna battles that survived but i would like
                  to go and see some of the places. most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                  places where McPherson was shot. you really can't look at the old maps and
                  guesstamante where things are. you can't find anything. I have an interst
                  of looking at the battles sites them and not.l it put things in persective.

                  thank you

                  William Turnier
                  William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so be careful. The Baron_________________________________________________________________
                • Baron VonTecumseh
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 28, 2001

                  • carlw4514@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                      it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                      > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                      > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                      > be careful. The
                      > Baron_________________________________________________________________

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • carlw4514@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                          In a message dated 1/29/01 12:26:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          carlw4514@... writes:

                          << it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                          > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                          > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                          > be careful. >>
                          Like I said Carl in an earlier post, if you want to visit Mac's cannon on
                          end monument, you had better get a police escort - nope, make that the
                          National Guard escort.
                        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                              carlw4514@... writes:

                              << it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                              > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                              > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                              > be careful. >>
                              Like I said Carl in an earlier post, if you want to visit Mac's cannon on
                              end monument, you had better get a police escort - nope, make that the
                              National Guard escort.
                              Well from what I,ve read here,it looks,like that part of Atlanta,
                              could use another little visit,from,Sherman!!!
                              The Baron
                            • Baron VonTecumseh
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 29, 2001
                                carlw4514@... writes:

                                << it certainly proved dangerous for Mcpherson

                                > William all I can help you with,is I have read,in more than one
                                > place,that where Mcpherson was shot,is in a very dangerous place,so
                                > be careful. >>
                                Like I said Carl in an earlier post, if you want to visit Mac's cannon on
                                end monument, you had better get a police escort - nope, make that the
                                National Guard escort.
                                Well from what I,ve read here,it looks,like that part of Atlanta,
                                could use another little visit,from,Sherman!!!
                                The Baron
                              • delete esq.
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                                  Well from what I,ve read here,it looks,like that part of Atlanta,
                                  could use another little visit,from,Sherman!!!
                                  The Baron

                                  hahaha

                                • delete esq.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                                      anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant of
                                      sherman... but how did he earn this trust?

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                                          In a message dated 1/30/01 10:02:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                          carlw4514@... writes:

                                          << anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant of
                                          sherman... but how did he earn this trust? >>
                                          You might read this article on Mac

                                          <A HREF="http://ngeorgia.com/people/mcpherson.html">James Birdseye
                                          McPherson, Major General, Union Commander, Army of Tennessee</A>
                                        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                                              Thank you, sir....

                                              Make sure the Baron doesn't read this, it is critical of Sherman!

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 30, 2001
                                                Thank you, sir....

                                                Make sure the Baron doesn't read this, it is critical of Sherman!

                                                On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:47:49 EST FLYNSWEDE@... writes:
                                                > In a message dated 1/30/01 10:02:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                > carlw4514@... writes:
                                                >
                                                > << anybody know much about Mcpherson? he was a trusted lieutenant
                                                > of
                                                > sherman... but how did he earn this trust? >>
                                                > You might read this article on Mac
                                                >
                                                > <A HREF="http://ngeorgia.com/people/mcpherson.html">James Birdseye
                                                >
                                                > McPherson, Major General, Union Commander, Army of Tennessee</A>

                                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                                              • Peter Mancini
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001
                                                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., "William A. Turnier" <turnierwa@h...> wrote:
                                                  > Most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                                                  > places where McPherson was shot.

                                                  How many times was he shot?

                                                  I am not sure if he is the one, but one of the monuments to a fallen
                                                  officer is in the pick-up lane of a McDonalds Drive-Thru. I think
                                                  that is near Stones River/Murfreesboro however. I can't remember
                                                  right - I did a whirlwind tour of battlefields last summer in a two
                                                  week time span. I hit 6 battlefields including but not limited to
                                                  Stones River, Chicamauga, Chattanooga, Balls Bluff and Gettysburg.
                                                  Did it all by car. I am missing one battlefield out of that list, I
                                                  will have to revisit my notes. I think the funniest thing that I got
                                                  out of that trip was a list of "stupid questions" asked by tourists
                                                  at the battlefields. I got all sorts of classics.

                                                  --Peter
                                                • Peter Mancini
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001
                                                      --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
                                                      > In a message dated 1/28/01 12:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                      > woodbury@s... writes:
                                                      >
                                                      > << most importanly i wouldlike to see the
                                                      > >places where McPherson was shot. >>
                                                      > You can visit the McPherson monument in Atlanta that is placed
                                                      supposively
                                                      > where he was killed. I highly advise that you get a police escort
                                                      however in
                                                      > going to view it. Not in the most favorable neighborhood.

                                                      Why a police escort? It didn't help McPherson!
                                                    • Peter Mancini
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 1, 2001