52nd GA, Barton's/Stovall's Brigade

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2004
      Anyone have any sources on what this regiment did on Missionary Ridge?   I have the report in the supplemental OR.

      Sam Elliott
    • josepharose
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
        > Anyone have any sources on what this regiment did on Missionary
        Ridge? I
        > have the report in the supplemental OR.
        >
        > Sam Elliott

        Mr. Elliot:

        The book, "Soldier of Tennessee: General Alexander P. Stewart and
        the Civil War in the West," seemed to have pretty good details of
        many of the regiments in Stewart's division.

        I don't know about the 52nd GA.

        Joe
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2004
          Gee Sam, maybe you ought to take the time to read that there Stewart book.

          Harry

          > Anyone have any sources on what this regiment did on Missionary
          Ridge? I
          > have the report in the supplemental OR.
          >
          > Sam Elliott

          Mr. Elliot:

          The book, "Soldier of Tennessee: General Alexander P. Stewart and
          the Civil War in the West," seemed to have pretty good details of
          many of the regiments in Stewart's division.

          I don't know about the 52nd GA.

          Joe

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • DORR64OVI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2004
            In a message dated 5/9/2004 11:41:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, hjs21@... writes:

            Gee Sam, maybe you ought to take the time to read that there Stewart book.

            Harry

            I think that might fall under the category of redundant. :)  Good book tho.

            Kent Dorr
          • josepharose
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 5/9/2004 11:41:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > hjs21@c... writes:
              >
              > > Gee Sam, maybe you ought to take the time to read that there
              Stewart book.

              > > Harry
              >
              > I think that might fall under the category of redundant. :) Good
              book tho.

              > Kent Dorr

              I'd only recommend a good book, especially if it's to the author in
              question.

              Joseph
            • SDE80@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2004
                In a message dated 5/10/04 1:30:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, josepharose@... writes:

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@a... wrote:
                >In a message dated 5/9/2004 11:41:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                >hjs21@c... writes:
                >
                >>Gee Sam, maybe you ought to take the time to read that there
                Stewart book.

                >>Harry
                >
                >I think that might fall under the category of redundant. :)  Good
                book tho.

                >Kent Dorr

                I'd only recommend a good book, especially if it's to the author in
                question.

                Joseph

                Well, its nice to know that three knowledgeable guys like the book.  <g>.   Actually, I'm trying to take a new and deeper look at Stewart's end of Missionary Ridge.   I had a good theory of where everyone was, but I don't have a good bearing on the semi-exact location of the 52nd Georgia--yet.

                Sam Elliott
              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2004

                  Sam,

                  It sounds like you may be looking at a new book project. Is this something we can look forward to in the future? I’m always looking for another good book on Missionary Ridge and would look forward to anything you may be putting together.

                  Tom M.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2004
                    In a message dated 5/10/2004 1:11:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

                    It sounds like you may be looking at a new book project. Is this something we can look forward to in the future? I’m always looking for another good book on Missionary Ridge and would look forward to anything you may be putting together.

                    Thanks, Tom.  Too early to tell.  I'm doing something, but whether it develops into a book, an article, or a dead end, hard to tell.   The problem with western subjects is marketability, but then they have the virtue of not being the subject of micro-scrutiny like what happened in any given square foot of Gettysburg.

                    The fighting on the southern end of the Ridge (Stewart vs. part of Sheridan, Johnson, Geary, Cruft and Osterhaus) has been underreported, because it has only been the last 6-8 years that it was known that Stewart's Divsion reports survived.   Right now I'm in the mode of figuring out what unit fought where on Missionary Ridge, which is convenient since I live in Chattanooga.   The Confederate markers, probably because the Stewart reports disappeared for a while, are somewhat incorrect, and probably a little out of place.

                    Sam Elliott
                  • Tom Mix
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2004

                      Sam,

                      Good points. It sounds like you may have hit on something that could lend to marketability.  A marked may be viewed as “unmarketable” when in reality little has been done to provide a marked to accurately measure. Go for it.

                      Just be careful as you try to read those markers. I wanted to read them last year but almost got rear ended about ½ dozen and figured the health of my car and myself may out weigh the information on the markers. I really wanted to see all of that too.

                      Talk about up-scale homes!

                      Nice view though.

                      Tom