Custer and Mosbey

  • ron
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9 3:14 PM
      Don't know if this is western theatre or not. Dick can kill it if not.

      In addition to civil war history, I am very interested in the Indian Wars that followed the civil war. In a recent book by Terry Johnson, his fictional hero Seamus Donegan mentioned that he was busted in the civil war by Custer because he refused to participate in the hanging of Mosbey's Raiders.

      My question is this: Did Custer capture Mosbey's Raiders? Did he hang any of them?

      Ron Wright

      Sent via the WebMail system at sailsoutheast.org
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10 4:03 AM
        Ron, according to MOSBY'S RANGERS, by Jeffry Wert, in September 1864 Union Cavalry in the Front Royal area were reacting to a
        claim that one of their own, a Colonel McMaster, had been killed after surrendering, a charge that Mosby and others denied. In any
        case, six captured Rangers were executed in retaliation. Custer was one of the ranking officers and could have been involved, was
        certainly accused of ordering the executuions at the time, and has since been largely absolved. Two other officers incuding a Major
        General Torbert were responsible for giving permission for the executions. Page 215: " As for Custer, he probably concurred, but there
        is no evidence that he was involved in the decision making. Some of Custer's men from the Michigan Brigade had a role in what was
        about to transpire." However, in the same paragraph, " Whoever requested that the prisoners be executed is unknown," so
        conceivably that could have been Custer; but the author goes on to say probably Custer got pegged by the public because he stood
        out so much [in regards to his appearance, as is well known.]
        Carl

        --- In27414, "ron " <ron@s...> wrote:

        > My question is this: Did Custer capture Mosbey's Raiders? Did he hang any of them?
        >
        > Ron Wright
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10 4:08 AM
          PS, I don't see Custer mentioned in the account of how the men got captured ... an rare action in which the Rangers got the worst of
          it.
          Carl