Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Battle of Franklin, and how those who live there h...

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2004
      In a message dated 5/5/2004 7:28:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wh_keene@... writes:

      Hank,  Steve, and others,

      I don't know about all that is going on in Franklin, but that article did not strike me the
      way it did you.  I did not see any inference that historic preservation and economic vitality
      are at odds; in fact I thought the author's point was the opposite.  To me she was saying
      that Franklin is vital becuase of historic preservation -- she wrote of an active historic
      downtown, the restored Factory, beatiful antebellum homes, Hincheyville.  In her eyes
      Franklin is alive while Shiloh is not becuase it is frozen in time as a place of reverence.
      That is what I got from the article.

      Yours,

      Will

      Will,

      From my perspective, it's just the attitude they have down there in Franklin.  They don't care about history.  One of the worst battles ever fought on this Continent, is being conveniently erased from memory by the actions that are allowed down there.  I am not saying everything should be saved, as I know that is impossible, but they systematically don't care about our history.  Yes I know I don't live there, but that said those who do should take more of an active part in making sure it is not erased, and for the most part that goes on in Franklin every day.

      Imagine Virginia knocking down Mount Vernon, and in it's place building a Pizza Hut where George Washington lived.  They have in Franklin where Pat Cleburne was killed.  I don't know how Thomas Cartwright stands dealing with that town, and we all are damn lucky he does, because if he left, I am sure the town fathers would tear down the Carter House, and make way for a brand new Starbucks.  Just my opinon, for what its worth.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic