Re: McMurry Review Citation

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "R.W. \(Bob\) Taubman"
      <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
      > You are quite welcome. I enjoy the exercise. Being a retired police
      > officer/systems analyst, I enjoy the online "sleuthing".
      >
      > I think we agree that had the proper citations and and credits been
      > given, there wouldn't have been a problem with the book. I have it
      > on my shelf and it shall remain there with the proper cautions. It
      > is unfortunate that a book that may be historically correct is now
      > of questionable value due to the plagiarism issue.

      The problem, of course, is that if plagiarized, it adds no new
      thought to what has been originally written - whether available to us
      in written form or not.

      McMurry was historically correct; the McDonough book added nothing
      (at least insofar as the plagiarized parts go).

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2004
        In a message dated 5/5/2004 1:01:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dmsmith001@... writes:

        > The McDonough Atlanta book was, to the best of my
        > knowledge, McDonough's first.

        I owned his Shiloh book long before the Atlanta one
        came out. The Atlanta book has a 1991 publication
        date (I *think*) and Amazon indicates the Shiloh book
        was published in 1983.

        I think his work is very superficial. Most of us could
        do as well.

        I do recall, before I learned of the plagerism issue,
        seeing folks refer to Castel's book as the *first*
        book-length treatment of the campaign, and wondering
        why the McDonough-Jones book was being ignored.

        JFE