Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Battle of Franklin, and how those who live there h...

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 11:54 PM
      In a message dated 5/1/2004 2:04:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lilsteve68@... writes:

      Steve And Steve,

      The problem lies  in the  education field and Its up to Us .. The War Between The State Buffs, Preservationist, Reenactors , and Descendants to educate the masses..

      Its took  59 years since the end of WWII.. to honor  those Gallant and Brave Men.  This is the type of ignorance  we deal with in todays world..

      Regards
      Steven

      Steven,

      and how sad is that?  That said, I can safely say that no Pizza Hut or Starbuck's Coffee house will be built on ground zero here in the NYC area.  That's the problem I have always had with what goes on in Franklin.  They could care less about history, for the most part.  :(

      Hope all is well.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic

    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2004
        In a message dated 5/5/2004 7:28:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wh_keene@... writes:

        Hank,  Steve, and others,

        I don't know about all that is going on in Franklin, but that article did not strike me the
        way it did you.  I did not see any inference that historic preservation and economic vitality
        are at odds; in fact I thought the author's point was the opposite.  To me she was saying
        that Franklin is vital becuase of historic preservation -- she wrote of an active historic
        downtown, the restored Factory, beatiful antebellum homes, Hincheyville.  In her eyes
        Franklin is alive while Shiloh is not becuase it is frozen in time as a place of reverence.
        That is what I got from the article.

        Yours,

        Will

        Will,

        From my perspective, it's just the attitude they have down there in Franklin.  They don't care about history.  One of the worst battles ever fought on this Continent, is being conveniently erased from memory by the actions that are allowed down there.  I am not saying everything should be saved, as I know that is impossible, but they systematically don't care about our history.  Yes I know I don't live there, but that said those who do should take more of an active part in making sure it is not erased, and for the most part that goes on in Franklin every day.

        Imagine Virginia knocking down Mount Vernon, and in it's place building a Pizza Hut where George Washington lived.  They have in Franklin where Pat Cleburne was killed.  I don't know how Thomas Cartwright stands dealing with that town, and we all are damn lucky he does, because if he left, I am sure the town fathers would tear down the Carter House, and make way for a brand new Starbucks.  Just my opinon, for what its worth.