Re: [civilwarwest] The Battle of Franklin, and how those who live there have ...

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
      In a message dated 4/30/04 12:55:17 AM Central Daylight Time, basecat1@... writes:

      I hope I have not overstepped the rules in these groups, but to me this is an important issue, and should be brought to the attention of all those who care about our heritage, and our history.  I do hope all send an e-mail to this clown.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic

      Mine is in the mail or email so to speak

      Regards,
      Steven
    • George Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2004
        --- lilsteve68@... wrote:
        > Daylight Time,
        > basecat1@... writes:
        > Mine is in the mail or email so to speak
        >
        > Regards,
        > Steven

        Here's mine:

        I would guess that Franklin can never be a Shiloh
        and not merely for the reasons that you cite in your
        column. Let me ask that you reconsider what I see as
        your narrow view of the value of your history:

        1--Featuring your history can ADD still another draw
        to the local industry. In business it is called
        diversification. You should play well EVERY card that
        you have. When I visit civil war sites (and I go to
        many), I am also planning vacations, and making
        recommendations to others. For example, lately I went
        to Lewisburg and White Sulphur Springs, WV. I'll be
        back! My civil war interests opened the door to really
        nice places to go that are not Civil War: the
        Greenbrier, Lewisburg Bed and Breakfasts, Antique
        shops, etc.

        2--Many of the cites I've seen will not get revisits
        because: the locals don't even know their history, are
        too parochial to care about outsiders and hence have
        little of interest even in other areas.

        3--National honor, and memory is a community
        obligation. Should NYC say "we want no 9/11 memorial
        because the real estate is too valuable for mere
        historic sentimentality"? They can see that national
        memory can even serve local economy. Even if it did
        not, some things are just important enough to honor.
        One of those is the blood shed in our national
        struggle that redefined us as a nation. I cite
        Gettysburg as a city that makes full use of its
        history for the local economy.

        Thanks for your time, and I do hope you'll expand
        your take on the great treasure that you have, and use
        it to the fullest by preserving what you can. It is
        not antithetical to your local interest.
        George Hall

      • vck21k@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 10:34 AM
          In a message dated 4/30/2004 1:55:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:
          I don't ask for much in these groups, but tonight I am asking that all who decide to check this link out to respond to this so- called columnist.  This is a disgrace what is going on down there.  Franklin is a part of this nation's history, and have had it with this nonsense that is continually spewed out.  They seem to forget that what happened there is not just a Franklin story, but then again, and as you will see from this inane column, they have.
          Letter to the Editor in reference Mr. Stivender's article sent belatedly this date.  Victoria K.
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5 11:45 AM
            Here's what I had to say:

            To the editor:

            The recent article 'Somber Shiloh, lively Franklin big contrast'
            makes a poor inference that historic preservation and economic
            vitality are somehow at odds with one another.

            Nothing can be farther from the truth.

            Across the country there are thousands of towns and cities that
            cherish, nurture and rely upon their heritage to draw people and
            events into their communities and enhance their economic well-being.
            Preserved historical sites and structures are open 52 weeks a year
            and draw interested tourists, and their dollars, all year. I'm not
            aware of anyone wishing Franklin to be "a Mecca for Civil War
            pilgrims", but it certainly can be "a sideshow to the big show" as
            another Tennessean, Sam Watkins, once asserted.

            The writer's view seems to be limited to what Middle Tennesseans and
            Southerners can bring to Franklin. What about those whose itineraries
            may include a stop at Franklin during a Civil War tour? These people
            eat, sleep and shop as well! Why limit Franklin's outdoor and
            recreational attractions to "Its Harpeth River and several parks and
            green spaces...its beautiful antebellum homes and preserved Fair
            Street and Hincheyville communities"?

            Towns and communities must strive to use as many resources at their
            disposal and realize that these choices are not an 'either-or'
            proposition but an opportunity to be seized and cherished...

            Cheers,
            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, vck21k@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 4/30/2004 1:55:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > basecat1@a... writes:
            > I don't ask for much in these groups, but tonight I am asking that
            all who
            > decide to check this link out to respond to this so- called
            columnist. This is
            > a disgrace what is going on down there. Franklin is a part of this
            nation's
            > history, and have had it with this nonsense that is continually
            spewed out.
            > They seem to forget that what happened there is not just a Franklin
            story, but
            > then again, and as you will see from this inane column, they have.
            > Letter to the Editor in reference Mr. Stivender's article sent
            belatedly this
            > date. Victoria K.
          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5 4:26 PM
              Hank, Steve, and others,

              I don't know about all that is going on in Franklin, but that article did not strike me the
              way it did you. I did not see any inference that historic preservation and economic vitality
              are at odds; in fact I thought the author's point was the opposite. To me she was saying
              that Franklin is vital becuase of historic preservation -- she wrote of an active historic
              downtown, the restored Factory, beatiful antebellum homes, Hincheyville. In her eyes
              Franklin is alive while Shiloh is not becuase it is frozen in time as a place of reverence.
              That is what I got from the article.

              Yours,

              Will