The Battle of Franklin, and how those who live there have no clue. :(

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2004
      Folks,

      I hope all are well.  Am not sure you will be when you read the column from the link I will be leaving with this e-mail.  As those who know me, I have a hard time trying to figure out just what in the hell the folks in the Franklin area are thinking.  Then, and thanks to Joe Avalon of Civil War Interactive Premium, who is just as ticked as I am, posted this link on his web site.

      I don't ask for much in these groups, but tonight I am asking that all who decide to check this link out to respond to this so- called columnist.  This is a disgrace what is going on down there.  Franklin is a part of this nation's history, and have had it with this nonsense that is continually spewed out.  They seem to forget that what happened there is not just a Franklin story, but then again, and as you will see from this inane column, they have.

      Here is the link to the column.

      http://www.tennessean.com/williamsonam/letters/archives/04/04/50489540.shtml?Element_ID=50489540

      I hope I have not overstepped the rules in these groups, but to me this is an important issue, and should be brought to the attention of all those who care about our heritage, and our history.  I do hope all send an e-mail to this clown.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • aot1952
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
        Steve-
        Good to hear from you old buddy!
        You and I have discussed the Franklin situation on other forums and
        like you I am disturbed by the attitude that is displayed in the
        article that somehow CW preservation and 21st American desirable
        urban community are thought by some to be inconsistent. As I have
        indicated in some of our prior discussions much of the problem in
        Franklin I think can be traced to the demographic change over the
        last two decades, the % of people living in Franklin that were born
        in Franklin has changed dramatically (from like 15% in 1980 to 85%
        in 2000) and it seems that the new comers simply do not think
        that 'it is THEIR history'.
        I maybe too sensitive, but I felt the one of the clear implications
        of the article was that somehow Civil War history is a SOUTHERN
        thing. Why did the writer say Shiloh is a "a must-see if you're a
        Southerner"? I wonder if the writer is even aware the Southerners
        lost at Shiloh? Why such a spot is not a must see for a MidWesterner
        I have no idea. Why Shiloh is not a must see for any American I
        guess I just do not get.
        While it seems that we may never be able to convince some of our
        fellow citizens that our national heritage belongs to all of us I
        do think this notion that somehow Civil War history interest and
        preservation is a uniquely Southern thing is a very dangerous one.
        To be honest I have no idea how us Civil War nut cases can combat
        this seemingly growing notion.
        Regards-
        Wakefield
        P.S. Sorry this is probably off tropic.
      • aot1952
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
          Sorry on re-reading I screwed up my facts--- in 1980 85% of the
          people living in Franklin werer born in Franklin in 2000 that number
          had changed to 15%.
          I apologize but I been fighting a darn head cold that makes it hard
          to keep my mind on what I am trying to do and say.
          Wakefield