RE: [civilwarwest] Dismounted Cavalry VS Infantry

  • jack
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2004
      Dismounted cavalry rarely would attack infantry in line unless they had
      numeric superiority. It just wouldn't make sense even if they had
      repeaters. Dismounted cavalry was much more effective on the defense (e.g.,
      Forrest laying his men down in the grass or Buford at Gettysburg facing
      superior numbers).

      I agree with Tom that mounted with sabres (sweeping from the flank to move
      across the front en echelon) would be more effective. It reduces casualties
      due to rifled musketry from the infantry and allows the relative advantage of
      cavalry speed to be maximized. Using the angle toward the flank at moderate
      distances denies the infantry the time to adjust the facing of the line.

      Jack Maples

      On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:09:08 -0500, Tom Mix wrote