Books are #1

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 23, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      <huddleston.r@c...> wrote:
      > Jack, you are making bad decisions -- books are number one!
      Everything else
      > comes second. Or so my wife claims.....

      If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
      reading will you know? If you don't know, has she really left you?

      James2044
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 23, 2004
        If you don't notice, does it really matter?
        Women have come and gone, but my books have never let me down. They have
        knowledge...
        Tom M.

        > Jack, you are making bad decisions -- books are number one!
        Everything else
        > comes second. Or so my wife claims.....

        If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
        reading will you know? If you don't know, has she really left you?

        James2044

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Norris Darrall
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004

          > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
          > reading will you know? If you don't know, has she really left you?
          >
          > James2044

          Valid points.

          Norris
        • James L. Choron
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
            Once my wife told me that if I drug another box of books home from another
            estate or rummage sale that she'd leave me. I told her that I sure would
            miss her...

            Jim

            > > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
            > > reading will you know? If you don't know, has she really left you?
            > >
            > > James2044
            >
            > Valid points.
            >
            > Norris
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            ---
          • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
              In a message dated 4/24/2004 10:17:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
              Once my wife told me that if I drug another box of books home from another
              estate or rummage sale that she'd leave me. I told her that I sure would
              miss her...

              Jim
              That is like the guy that drove his car off a pier into the water, as the car was sinking, he handed a guy on the pier his golf clubs saying, "hold onto these, I have to go back and get my wife."

              JEJ
            • P. B. Jones
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                Maybe...if one goes along with the stereotyped thinking some members of CWWT are espousing.  ;)  But any of those jokes/statements could also be made with "husband" substituted for "wife" and "he" for "she".

                Best regards from SHE who is the buyer and reader of CW books in this 25 year Union.  ;)

                Pat
                > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
                > reading will you know?  If you don't know, has she really left you?
                >
                > James2044

                Valid points.

                Norris

              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004

                  I knew this one would be coming, I’m just surprised it took this long, Pat.

                  Take care.

                  Tom M.

                  Maybe...if one goes along with the stereotyped thinking some members of CWWT are espousing.  ;)  But any of those jokes/statements could also be made with "husband" substituted for "wife" and "he" for "she".

                  Best regards from SHE who is the buyer and reader of CW books in this 25 year Union.  ;)

                  Pat

                  > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
                  > reading will you know?  If you don't know, has she really left you?
                  >
                  > James2044

                  Valid points.

                  Norris

                • P. B. Jones
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                    Tom -  What can I say?  :)  I tell my husband that you can't spell "patient" without P-A-T.  ;)  BTW he points out that IMpatient includes those same letters.

                    Best regards from still rainy and overcast SEK.

                    Pat
                    I knew this one would be coming, I’m just surprised it took this long, Pat.

                    Take care.

                    Tom M.

                    Maybe...if one goes along with the stereotyped thinking some members of CWWT are espousing.  ;)  But any of those jokes/statements could also be made with "husband" substituted for "wife" and "he" for "she".

                    Best regards from SHE who is the buyer and reader of CW books in this 25 year Union.  ;)

                    Pat

                    > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
                    > reading will you know?  If you don't know, has she really left you?
                    >
                    > James2044

                    Valid points.

                    Norris

                  • James W. Durney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "P. B. Jones"
                      <patbartonekjones@c...> wrote:
                      > Maybe...if one goes along with the stereotyped thinking some
                      members of CWWT are espousing. ;) But any of those
                      jokes/statements could also be made with "husband" substituted
                      for "wife" and "he" for "she".

                      > Best regards from SHE who is the buyer and reader of CW books in
                      this 25 year Union. ;)

                      > Pat

                      Pat; all in good fun. I've been married since 1969 to the same
                      woman. I would miss her very much.

                      James2044
                    • ecm777@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                        Now all you guys are walking a fine line here! ;-)

                        Not, to worry Pat. I have carefully documented all these comments and have forwarded them to the respective wives. ;-)

                        And to think, these were probably all the guys back in school that wouldn't be caught dead reading a book! :D

                        Best regards
                        Colleen aka CWgal
                      • Billie
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                          Hmm, I'm the one in the family who spends all the money on books,
                          who has a better Civil War collection than our local library does,
                          runs the local Civil War roundtable, lead the tour of Chickamauga...

                          Guess we have to let the lads have their fun, eh, Colleen? :)

                          Billie

                        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 24, 2004
                            In a message dated 4/24/2004 8:41:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, ecm777@... writes:
                            Not, to worry Pat. I have carefully documented all these comments and have forwarded them to the respective wives. ;-)
                            Before Bush's invasion of Iraq, the women there walked five paces behind the men.  Now they walk ten paces behind them.  When asked why when they were suppose to be more liberated.  Their answer was simple in two words.

                            LAND MINES

                            JEJ
                          • James L. Choron
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                              All,

                              Back to the topic of books...

                              I live overseas, and English language books, especially specialized  books on things like the Civil War are hard to get and expensive to order. Do any of you know where I can download Ebooks on any useful topic, particularly electronc copies of some of the standard works on the war? I've found loads of frivilous stuff, but good history seems rare.

                              Jim

                              I knew this one would be coming, I’m just surprised it took this long, Pat.

                              Take care.

                              Tom M.

                              Maybe...if one goes along with the stereotyped thinking some members of CWWT are espousing.  ;)  But any of those jokes/statements could also be made with "husband" substituted for "wife" and "he" for "she".

                              Best regards from SHE who is the buyer and reader of CW books in this 25 year Union.  ;)

                              Pat

                              > If you buy another book and your wife leaves, if you are busy
                              > reading will you know?  If you don't know, has she really left you?
                              >
                              > James2044

                              Valid points.

                              Norris

                              ---
                            • ecm777@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                                In a message dated 4/24/04 9:29:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wmhiram@... writes:

                                Guess we have to let the lads have their fun, eh, Colleen?  :)

                                Billie

                                Oh yes, Billie, might as well.  I was tell Pat in the chatroom last night that men always talk big when their wives aren't around. ;-)  I guess they need that. So, we can put up with a little venting. :D

                                Best Regards
                                Colleen aka CWgal
                              • Jack Purcell
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                                  Hi Jim:

                                  You have my sympathy.  The availability of books in digitized form varies a lot from book to book, depending on whether the publishers have experienced the financial disaster of going to the expense of producing a digitized book and having it crash and burn already.

                                  If you search Amazon for the titles and subjects that interest you you'll find a lot of the major works are available in print, or digitized.  Each title have a link under 'See More Product Details' giving all the ways that publisher offers the title.  The ebooks, paperback and bound versions will each have a different ISBN, but the Amazon listings will show them all so long as they're from the same publisher.

                                  Good luck,
                                  Jack

                                • Jack Purcell
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                                    Here's a quick link of an Amazon search on digitized Civil War books.  You might find more by refining the search:

                                    Regards,
                                    Jack

                                  • James W. Durney
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                                      > In a message dated 4/24/2004 8:41:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                      ecm777@a...
                                      > writes:
                                      > Not, to worry Pat. I have carefully documented all these comments
                                      and have
                                      > forwarded them to the respective wives. ;-)
                                      > Before Bush's invasion of Iraq, the women there walked five paces
                                      behind the
                                      > men. Now they walk ten paces behind them. When asked why when
                                      they were
                                      > suppose to be more liberated. Their answer was simple in two
                                      words.

                                      > LAND MINES
                                      >

                                      > JEJ

                                      That joke comes from Nam.

                                      James2044
                                    • josepharose
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 25, 2004
                                        There are many digitized editions of older works which are
                                        downloadable from the internet. The memoirs of Grant, Sherman, and
                                        Sheridan are usually relatively easy to locate.

                                        One major site is Project Gutenberg:
                                        http://gutenberg.net/

                                        I've probably gotten some twenty books related to the war from there
                                        or elsewhere.

                                        Joseph

                                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Purcell"