Confederate Indian Units in the Civil War of the West

  • James L. Choron
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004

      All,

      I found this on the net while doing some related research. It's good reference for anyone looking into the Indian Nations and their involvement in the Civil War. It's not very detailed, but it gives a good starting place.

      Jim

      Confederate Indian Units in the Civil War of the West

      FIRST BATTALION, Cherokee Cavalry ( Bryan's Battalion ).

      First Commander: Major J. M. Bryan

      FIRST REGIMENT: Cherokee Mounted Rifles.

      • First Colonel: Stand Watie (later Brig. General )
      • James M. Bell, Lieutenant Colonel (later Colonel)
      • Robert C. Parks, Lt. Colonel
      • Thomas R. Taylor, Lt. Colonel
      • Joseph F. Thompson, Major (later Lt. Colonel )
      • Clem N. Vann, Lt. Colonel
      • Elias Corneilus Boudinot, Major
      • E. J. Howland, Major..

      SECOND REGIMENT: Cherokee Mounted Rifles.

      • First Colonel, William P. Adair
      • O.H.P. Brewer, Lt. Colonel
      • Porter Hammock, Major
      • J.R. Harden, Major
      • John Vann, Major.

      SECOND REGIMENT: Cherokee Mounted Rifles.

      (also referred to as Drew's Regiment and First Regiment, Cherokee Cavalry).
      • First Colonel: John Drew
      • William P. Ross, Lt. Colonel
      • Thomas Pegg, Major.

      FRY'S BATTALION, Cherokee Cavalry

      First Commander: Major Moses C. Frye. Aide: Major Joseph A. Scales

      FIRST BATTALION, Chickasaw Cavalry

      First Colonel: Lieutenant Colonel Joseph D. Harris. Aide: Major Lemuel M. Reynolds

      FIRST REGIMENT: Chickasaw Cavary

      • First Colonel: William L. Hunter
      • Samuel H. Martin, Lt. Colonel
      • Abram B. Hayes, Major

      SHECO'S BATTALION, Chickasaw Cavalry

      First Commander: Lieutenant Colonel Martin Sheco. Aide: Jonathan Nail, Major

      FIRST BATTALION, Choctaw Cavalry

      First Commander: Major J. W. Pierce

      FIRST REGIMENT: Choctaw Cavalry

      (also called: First Choctaw War Regiment; formed from Battice's Battalion).
      • First Colonel: Simpson N. Folsom
      • F. Battice, Lt. Colonel

      FIRST REGIMENT: Choctaw Cavalry

      (formed from First Choctaw Battalion)
      • First Colonel: Sampson Folsom
      • David R. Hawkins, Lt. Colonel

      THIRD REGIMENT: Choctaw Cavalry

      • First Colonel: Jackson McCurtain
      • Tom Lewis, Lt. Colonel
      • John Page, Major

      FIRST REGIMENT: Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles

      • First Colonel: Douglas H. Cooper
      • James Riley, Lt. Colonel
      • Willis J. Jones, Major
      • Mitchell LeFlore, Major
      • Sampson Loering, Major
      • Tandy Walker, Lt. Colonel, transfered to Second Regiment Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles.

      SECOND REGIMENT: Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles

      First Colonel: Tandy Walker.

      FIRST REGIMENT: Creek Cavalry

      • First Colonel: Daniel N. McIntosh
      • William R. McIntosh, Lt. Colonel
      • Samuel Chekote, Lt. Colonel
      • Jacob Derrysaw, Major
      • James McHenry, Major

      SECOND REGIMENT:Creek Cavalry

      • First Colonel: Chilly McIntosh
      • Pink Hawkins, Lt. Colonel
      • Timothy Barnett, Major (later Colonel)

      FIRST BATTALION, Seminole Cavalry

      First Commander: Lieutenant Colonel John Jumper. George Cloud, Major

      OSAGE CAVALRY BATTALION

      First Commander: Major Broken Arm

      Totals: Regiments: 11 Battalions: 8

    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
        In a message dated 4/9/2004 8:56:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
        I found this on the net while doing some related research. It's good reference for anyone looking into the Indian Nations and their involvement in the Civil War. It's not very detailed, but it gives a good starting place.
        Jim:

        Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. What references, which would be a little more in depth, do you recommend?

        Sincerely,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...
      • Knight Hawk
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
          Confederate General and Cherokee Chief Stand Watie
          (1806-1871)