Re: The Development of the concept of Civilian Authority over the military

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2004
      Off the top of my head, I'd say that the lack of a large standing
      army makes the rise of a dictator improbable. Many (most) countries
      maintained professional armies that were expected to follow any, and
      all, orders flowing down the chain of command.

      The democratic, independent and volunteer nature of the American
      soldier makes a military uprising unlikely.

      There may be other reasons as well; I'll let my subconscious chew on
      it during the day...

      HankC