Re: [civilwarwest] Daniel's new book "Days of Glory: The Army of the Cumberla...

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 3, 2004
      In a message dated 4/3/2004 1:55:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
      The "flaw" Im guessing Daniels brings forth is that unlike many of his fellow senior officers, Thomas was not a political player or promoter of his own career.   Rather, he deeply believed that the Army system would reward its officers based on performance and duty (and seniority).
      Kent,
      I believe your statement above on Thomas is most correct.  For this reason he was, as Palumbo described him, a dependable general.  He was one that could be counted on to do the job assigned to him and act militarily and not politically.  He let others bask in the limelight while not seeking it himself.  He had a job to do and he did it. If Daniels considers this a flaw,  Lincoln would have wished that more of his commanding generals had the same flaw.   IMHO, the Western theater was blessed with the likes of Thomas, Grant, and Sherman whom I like to call the Big Three.

      JEJ
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 5, 2004
        In a message dated 4/5/2004 1:16:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
        However, having refused to take command when directed to do so justified a degree of mistrust from Washington and that is what the question here is all about. An action creates a reaction and his action caused D.C to react in a manner of questioning Thomas’ motives. I think that is a justified response considering the political, social and military climate of the time.
        Rather than thinking about himself, Thomas' responses to Halleck, his statements about the situation years later, etc. etc. may not have been in his best interests politically, but that he was more concerned what was in the best interest for the Army and the country. (I know - I know -  only politicians decide what is best for the Army)  As it turned out, things did turn out good until Chicamaugua, but then Rosie fell down.  In the end, he ended up number 5 or 6 and was slated to take over Sherman's position according to Grant (during his world travels) but Thomas died first in California..

        JEJ