Re: [civilwarwest] Edmund Kirby Smith...

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      In a message dated 4/2/2004 9:53:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
      General Edmund Kirby Smith
      Nice article Jim

      JEJ
    • James L. Choron
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        Thanks General,

        I was born and raised about sixty miles from Shreveport, just inside the Texas border, and have been all over Ft. Humbug, Smith's old HQ in downtown, Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. A lot of people underestimate the size of the job he had facing him, and how little he really had to work with. It was a huge area, but thinly populated, and the need to satter his forces to the west because of indians, decreased what he had on hand for facing the Union.

        Fort Humbug is actually called Fort Humbug because  Smith was so low of artillery that he was forced to carve and paint logs and mount them to look like cannon, so that the true state of Shreveport's defences wouldn't be known.

        Smith was not only a compitent general, he was an excellent administrator of what was essentially an independent country, even from the Confederacy, for most of the war.

        Jim
          I was born and raised about sixty miles from Shreveport, just inside the Texas border, and have been all over Ft. Humbug, Smith's old HQ in downtown, Mansfield and Pleasant Hill.
          Sounds like you know the VanWert area as well.

          JEJ