Daniel's new book "Days of Glory: The Army of the Cumberland, 1861-1865"

  • thecoys@kingcon.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
      I am anxiously awaiting the release of Larry J. Daniel's new book, "Days
      of Glory: The Army of the Cumberland, 1861-1865". While looking at the
      synopsis at Amazon I noticed this line, "He offers a fresh
      interpretation of General George H. Thomas as a flawed character who did
      not mature until late 1863...." What do you all think is meant by this?

      Kevin S. Coy
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
        I don't know about pre-1863 but he was sure fine from then on. I would
        guess they all matured some during that war regardless of age and
        experience.
        Tom M.

        I am anxiously awaiting the release of Larry J. Daniel's new book, "Days

        of Glory: The Army of the Cumberland, 1861-1865". While looking at the
        synopsis at Amazon I noticed this line, "He offers a fresh
        interpretation of General George H. Thomas as a flawed character who did

        not mature until late 1863...." What do you all think is meant by this?

        Kevin S. Coy

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • aot1952
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
          Kevin-
          I have been lucky enough to read galley sheets of about 90% of Rev.
          Daniel's book. I feel very comfortable in saying that all folks here
          on CWWT will be very pleased ading this book to their libraries. It
          continues the work of Cozzen and it is my feeling that it is an
          improvement in analysis.
          I will not try and explain what Daniels has to say about George
          Thomas people will just have to read it and evaluate his analysis
          for themselves. Some may be disappointed with Daniel's analysis but
          my initial reaction was that he is right on.
          I know this is an unfair tease, but all I feel free to say about
          the book is that EVERYONE here will want to eat up this upcoming
          book as soon as they can get their hands on their own copies. I
          seriously doubt that anyone will be disappointed.
          On this post I am very confident-
          Wakefield
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
            I pre-ordered mine through Amazon and according to them my copy is to be
            mailed next week. I'm looking forward to it as I regard Rev. Daniel's as
            one of the best historians and writers out there.
            Tom Mix

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
              Indeed, this book should be very interesting, he spent a lot of time researching things here at Chickamauga, and by the way he is now working on a book on Chickamauga, should be interesting.

              Lee