Check out the Great news about newspapers!

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 6:00 PM
      And hopefully at least a few will be from the Civil War era!

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

      NCH WASHINGTON UPDATE (Vol. 10, #13; 2 April 2004) by Bruce Craig (editor)
      <rbcraig@...> National Coalition for History (NCH) Website
      http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~nch
      *****************

      1. APPROPRIATIONS HEARING: FOCUS ON THE NEH On 1 April 2004, National
      Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Chair Bruce Cole appeared before the
      House Interior and Related Agencies appropriations subcommittee to speak in
      support of the Bush administration's FY-2005 request of $162 million for the
      NEH. In his opening remarks, subcommittee Chair Charles Taylor (R-NC)
      stated that FY-2005 was going to be a "difficult year for appropriations" at
      all levels. Ranking Member Norman Dicks (D-WA) nodded in agreement but
      added that NEH funding levels already "lag significantly behind historic
      levels" and that he fully supported the administration's request of $162
      million.

      In delivering his testimony Cole deviated significantly from his prepared
      statement. He tailored it to his audience and used his time adroitly to
      focus on the new programs that he wanted to see funded. He used the
      occasion to announce that a memorandum of understanding had been just signed
      (31 March) with the Library of Congress that lays the foundation for the
      "National Digital Newspaper Program" -- a project that will convert
      microfilm copies of U.S. newspapers into fully searchable digital files and
      then place them on the Internet. He also spoke to the importance of various
      other components of the "We the People" initiative, including the "Landmarks
      of American History Program" and the "We the People Bookshelf" program.
      Cole also took special care to emphasize the importance of the "lynchpin in
      the NEH's efforts to extend its reach" -- the $3.2 million request for the
      56 state humanities councils.

      During questioning, Rep. Taylor asked Cole to prioritize the programs that
      he especially wanted funded. Cole was not taken off-guard by the question
      and answered that "all the 'We the People' programs are important," and then
      itemized the projects of particular importance:
      the digital newspaper program, the landmarks projects, the bookshelf
      program, and other digital conversion projects. Rep. Dicks asked Cole to
      explain why NEH programs were important. Cole responded that "democracy is
      not self-sustaining" and that as America must provide for its national
      security both inside and outside of its boundaries. "It's important to make
      the case that we are spending billions of dollars, rightly so, to defend our
      rights abroad" said Cole, "but if our citizens don't know what those rights
      are, then half of that defense is missing."

      Members questioned Cole about administrative expenses and posed concerns
      about duplicate efforts with other agencies, such as the Department of
      Education. They also wondered whether the NEH should consider placing more
      emphasis on digital projects as "they reach more people" in a
      "cost-effective manner." Cole gracefully answered all the questions.
      Regarding the issue of whether to place greater emphasis on digital
      projects, Cole explained that, while there is a place for such projects in
      his budget, they are no substitute for the teaching and learning that takes
      place at historic sites or the interaction between participants and scholars
      in summer seminars and other educational outreach programs.

      Comments supportive of the proposed NEH budget were also offered by the
      other two committee members in attendance: Rep. James Moran (D-VA) and Rep.
      Maurice Hinchey (D-NY).

      All in all, the general tone of the hearing was upbeat. Given the present
      environment of fiscal austerity, the hearing probably could not have gone
      much better. NEH supporters now await word on the committee's mark-up
      numbers (expected in late spring or early summer)
      -- totals that will undoubted less but hopefully not significantly under
      those requested by the administration.
    • Daniel Giallombardo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 10:59 AM

                                            I hope so Bob. I’m more than a little weary of bulldozing our history into the shape of shopping malls….Dan