RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Real Cavalry VS Real Dragoons... Something more...

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
      Nor is the often felt notion that the Poles were "stupid" and "backward"
      accurate. The attack was supported with available modern ordinance.
      True, the Lancers were outmoded but there was a reason for the attack
      but there was also a logical reason for its failure.
      Tom Mix

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004

                                                        Congratulations !!!!!! I look forward to a time when you (and your spouse)  can return.--Dan

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2004
          Mike,

          Being a Texan, I'm fairly up on the Mexican War. The reason I mentioned it was because I know of several instances where cavalry, both United States regular troops and Texas Rangers, broke up charges by lancers and compeltely routed them, even though outnumbered significantly, simply because the Rangers and U.S. troops were armed with pistols.

          I can see where the 6th would take lances, because there was no other option, but I can't see them choosing that weapon as a "first choice". I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in service, once better weapons came available.

          Jim
        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
            In a message dated 4/2/2004 10:30:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
            I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in service, once better weapons came available.
            Jim:

            The lances of the 6th PA Cavalry were exchanged for Sharps carbines prior to Gettysburg. Tom Smith of the unit wrote the following in a 2 June 1863 letter to his brother:

            "The regiment have turned in their lances and ordered carbines."

            The full letter is found in "We Have it Damned Hard Out Here" The Civil War Letters of Thomas W. Smith, 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry," edited by Eric Wittenberg.

            Sincerely,

            Mike Peters
            npeters102@...
          • jblake47
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
              One must also remember that the armament of the American Plains
              Indian consisted mostly of lance and bow. While there is a lot of
              discussion on this, it is a known fact that the Plains Indians were
              one of the best light cavalry ever produced in the world. One of
              the main reasons the Plains were the last to be conquered was
              because these horsemen could outfight the whites on most occasions.

              Inroads to the plains began in the southwest with the Texans moving
              into Apache and Commanche territories, somethings the Mexicans
              couldn't do. As they did so, they quickly found out that the
              armament they carried was inappropriate for the type of warfare the
              Indians capitalized upon. Once a single shot rifle or pistol was
              discharged, the person was unarmed for quite some time. In the
              meantime a well trained warrier could have as many as 3 - 4 arrows
              in the air at the same time. A definite advantage of firepower.
              The lance was the coup de gras to save arrows when the enemy had
              fired their weapon.

              The most significant change in plains warfare occured with the
              multiple round handgun. The Texas Rangers quickly found out that
              this weapon at least put them on equal footing with the superior
              weaponry of the Indian. Walker even went so far as to get his hands
              on as many revolvers that were available throughout the US,
              traveling east to collect as many as were available. He even
              designed one for specific use from the Colt Mfg company which was
              heavy enough to be used as a club when emptied.

              Only when the handgun was developed could the full use of cavalry be
              attained. This applied with the saber in Civil War combat and as
              time went on specialty handguns were developed to improve the life
              expectancy of the trooper. The LaMat was a classic example of such
              a weapon. It was too heavy to carry on a belt and had to be carried
              in a saddle holster. It fired 9 rounds of ball and a 20 guage
              shotgun round. This along with other side-arms began to change the
              tactics of cavalry operations. This was something that had been
              learned from the Texans the the earlier years dealing with the
              plains Indians. Off horseback, the shortened, repeating carbine
              held an advantage. The increase in firepower against mounted enemy
              again changed the face of the cavalry. The Lancers were on their
              way out as were the traditional saber armed troopers. Being mounted
              offered a quick manuvering ability, but until small, repeating
              weapons were developed, limited them the increased firepower of the
              enemy.

              Jeff

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Choron"
              <lordjim@r...> wrote:
              > Mike,
              >
              > Being a Texan, I'm fairly up on the Mexican War. The reason I
              mentioned it was because I know of several instances where cavalry,
              both United States regular troops and Texas Rangers, broke up
              charges by lancers and compeltely routed them, even though
              outnumbered significantly, simply because the Rangers and U.S.
              troops were armed with pistols.

              > I can see where the 6th would take lances, because there was no
              other option, but I can't see them choosing that weapon as a "first
              choice". I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in
              service, once better weapons came available.

              > Jim
            • Mark Peters
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
                wrote:
                > >The last cavalry charge in Europe, that I know of,
                > was by the Poles in an attempt to halt German tanks
                > in 1939.
                >
                > WAYYY off topic...the Polish cavalry that attacked the
                > German panzers were heavy infantry on horseback backed
                > by howitzers. The romantic vision most of us have
                > from that incident ain't quite right.

                Don't patronise. War is not romantic, and if you have that
                vision ...