Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Real Cavalry VS Real Dragoons... Something more...

  • John Beatty
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
      >The lancers were effective in their day, but as the
      technology changed and more effective weapons came
      on-line with longer range, the quick charge that would
      infact bring lancers the 100 yards from musket range
      to battleline in less time it would take to reload a
      musket were passing into history.

      To get just slightly off-topic...Richtofen started WWI
      in the Uhlans. Lancers may have been passing into
      history, but they didn't do it very fast.

      =====
    • Mark Peters
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
        wrote:
        > >The lancers were effective in their day, but as the
        > technology changed and more effective weapons came
        > on-line with longer range, the quick charge that would
        > infact bring lancers the 100 yards from musket range
        > to battleline in less time it would take to reload a
        > musket were passing into history.
        >
        > To get just slightly off-topic...Richtofen started WWI
        > in the Uhlans. Lancers may have been passing into
        > history, but they didn't do it very fast.

        John,

        This is a good point. British, German and Austraian lancers were all
        operational during WWI, although the machine gun and trench warfare
        made them somewhat ineffective. The last cavalry charge in Europe,
        that I know of, was by the Poles in an attempt to halt German tanks
        in 1939. As you say, there passing into history was a somewhat slow
        process.

        With regards to European lancers, I think Tom would agree, is that
        they were used to counter attack against spent charges from the heavy
        cavalry. They were not primarily used against infantry due to the
        problems of firepower and the skill required to ride a horse
        and 'stick people' with a long pole. The nature of the Civil War
        provided increased firepower and the mounted 'trooper'.

        Mark

        > =====
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
          Yes, Mark, I agree. There was always a romanticism attached to the flash
          and dash of the lancers that was slow to die. But technology made the
          lancer himself die quickly. Gen. John Buford was a pioneer in
          transforming the cavalry into what he would an eclectic form of mobile
          infantry. He is often referred to as the father of today's rapid
          helicopter transported infantry, sometimes called cavalry in today's
          American army.
          Buford wanted the cavalry to do more than scout, raid and harass. He
          believed the cavalry actually take and hold territory until the more
          numerous infantry arrived. He displayed this beautifully at Gettysburg
          on Day One. They occupied the ground of their choosing and held until
          1st Corps arrived. They did it with repeating fire carbines of a greater
          range than those of Napoleonic times and with mobility. When he saw a
          problem, he promptly mount some men to fill, adjust or extend a line as
          the need arose.

          He was not adverse to the charge and used the sword when needed but felt
          the cavalry needed to evolve with modern technology to survive and that
          is where the eclectic part comes in. Buford believed the cavalry could
          do much more than scout and raid. He would not live beyond the end of
          1863 so he did not get to see his theory bloom as it soon would. This
          was especially true in the up-coming Indian Wars that would follow the
          Civil War.

          The lancers were simply an archaic wing of the cavalry by this time.
          That is one reason they did not exist in the U.S. Regular Cavalry. The
          one mentioned was a volunteer unit from Pa. As noted by others, the
          lancers did exist up to 1939 but not as a rational and realistic
          military entity. The rifled musket, breech loading carbine, the
          Winchester, the machine gun each made the Lancer a suicidal adventure.

          The terrain in both the Eastern and Western Theaters of the Civil War
          made the lance an impractical tool.

          The American Indians of the Plains also used lances but would stop for
          the same reason. They were getting blown out of the saddle by the
          dismounted cavalry with repeating carbines and rifles. They too would
          adjust and carry the same weapons along with pistols.

          The lance had seen its day at Waterloo. But the Polish Lancers were a
          beautiful sight to see.

          Tom Mix

          > >The lancers were effective in their day, but as the
          > technology changed and more effective weapons came
          > on-line with longer range, the quick charge that would
          > infact bring lancers the 100 yards from musket range
          > to battleline in less time it would take to reload a
          > musket were passing into history.
          >
          > To get just slightly off-topic...Richtofen started WWI
          > in the Uhlans. Lancers may have been passing into
          > history, but they didn't do it very fast.

          John,

          This is a good point. British, German and Austraian lancers were all
          operational during WWI, although the machine gun and trench warfare
          made them somewhat ineffective. The last cavalry charge in Europe,
          that I know of, was by the Poles in an attempt to halt German tanks
          in 1939. As you say, there passing into history was a somewhat slow
          process.

          With regards to European lancers, I think Tom would agree, is that
          they were used to counter attack against spent charges from the heavy
          cavalry. They were not primarily used against infantry due to the
          problems of firepower and the skill required to ride a horse
          and 'stick people' with a long pole. The nature of the Civil War
          provided increased firepower and the mounted 'trooper'.

          Mark

          > =====

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • James L. Choron
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
            John,

            That was my point. I had a great-uncle in the Imperial German Army. He was
            an engineering officer, but was posted with the 1st Uhlan Guards for a
            while. He saw service in the Boxer Rebellion, in 1900 as a part of that
            unit. As far as I know, the last Uhlan charge, by German forces, with
            lances, was against the
            Imperial Russian Army at the battle of Tannenburg, in 1915.

            Jim

            > >The lancers were effective in their day, but as the
            > technology changed and more effective weapons came
            > on-line with longer range, the quick charge that would
            > infact bring lancers the 100 yards from musket range
            > to battleline in less time it would take to reload a
            > musket were passing into history.
            >
            > To get just slightly off-topic...Richtofen started WWI
            > in the Uhlans. Lancers may have been passing into
            > history, but they didn't do it very fast.
            >
            > =====

          • Kristin Scherrer
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004

              Dear Group,

               Due to my upcoming wedding this July and the end of school and all that comes with both of those I am requesting removal from this group simply because of lack of time.  Thank you for letting me be a part of this discussion and I wish you all the best.

              Kristin Scherrer

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • John Beatty
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                >The last cavalry charge in Europe, that I know of,
                was by the Poles in an attempt to halt German tanks
                in 1939.

                WAYYY off topic...the Polish cavalry that attacked the
                German panzers were heavy infantry on horseback backed
                by howitzers. The romantic vision most of us have
                from that incident ain't quite right.

                =====
              • NPeters102@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 4/1/2004 3:42:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
                  I was just wondering, as much as some elements on both sides tended to try and copy European fighting styles, weapons and uniforms, why, at least initially, this type of cavalry formation wasn't used. I think the lessons learned at Balaclava, by
                  the British, and in Mexico, where a single patrol, armed with revolvers could route an entire company of Mexican lancers might have played a part in it.What do you think?

                  Jim:

                  You may be right. The 6th PA Cavalry, "Rush's Lancers," wouldn't have carried lances if they would have been formed earlier, like many other units, in the summer of 1861. By the fall of that year, when they were formed, there were not enough traditional weapons to go around. "Little Mac" asked Rush if he would consider using lances. Eric Wittenberg wrote the following re: Rush's response:

                  "Because there were no other weapons available to the men of the 6th Pennsylvania, Rush had little choice but to agree to McClellan's request."

                  Sincerely,

                  Mike Peters
                  npeters102@...

                • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                    In a message dated 4/1/2004 10:10:31 AM Central Standard Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:

                    WAYYY off topic...the Polish cavalry that attacked the
                    German panzers were heavy infantry on horseback backed
                    by howitzers.  The romantic vision most of us have
                    from that incident ain't quite right.

                    And ignores both Italian and Soviet use of Cavalry on the Eastern front, besides:)

                    Dave Powell
                  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                      In a message dated 4/1/2004 11:08:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, wacogaurds64@... writes:

                      Due to my upcoming wedding this July and the end of school and all that comes with both of those I am requesting removal from this group simply because of lack of time.  Thank you for letting me be a part of this discussion and I wish you all the best.

                      Kristin Scherrer

                      Congrats on all Kristin -  Always remember what Shakespeare said about getting married. "What fools us mortals be."

                      JEJ
                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                        Nor is the often felt notion that the Poles were "stupid" and "backward"
                        accurate. The attack was supported with available modern ordinance.
                        True, the Lancers were outmoded but there was a reason for the attack
                        but there was also a logical reason for its failure.
                        Tom Mix

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
                          >And ignores both Italian and Soviet use of Cavalry on
                          the Eastern front, besides:)

                          Not to mention the US in the Phillipines...

                          =====
                        • Daniel Giallombardo
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004

                                                                            Congratulations !!!!!! I look forward to a time when you (and your spouse)  can return.--Dan

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 2, 2004
                              Mike,

                              Being a Texan, I'm fairly up on the Mexican War. The reason I mentioned it was because I know of several instances where cavalry, both United States regular troops and Texas Rangers, broke up charges by lancers and compeltely routed them, even though outnumbered significantly, simply because the Rangers and U.S. troops were armed with pistols.

                              I can see where the 6th would take lances, because there was no other option, but I can't see them choosing that weapon as a "first choice". I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in service, once better weapons came available.

                              Jim
                            • NPeters102@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
                                In a message dated 4/2/2004 10:30:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, lordjim@... writes:
                                I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in service, once better weapons came available.
                                Jim:

                                The lances of the 6th PA Cavalry were exchanged for Sharps carbines prior to Gettysburg. Tom Smith of the unit wrote the following in a 2 June 1863 letter to his brother:

                                "The regiment have turned in their lances and ordered carbines."

                                The full letter is found in "We Have it Damned Hard Out Here" The Civil War Letters of Thomas W. Smith, 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry," edited by Eric Wittenberg.

                                Sincerely,

                                Mike Peters
                                npeters102@...
                              • jblake47
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
                                  One must also remember that the armament of the American Plains
                                  Indian consisted mostly of lance and bow. While there is a lot of
                                  discussion on this, it is a known fact that the Plains Indians were
                                  one of the best light cavalry ever produced in the world. One of
                                  the main reasons the Plains were the last to be conquered was
                                  because these horsemen could outfight the whites on most occasions.

                                  Inroads to the plains began in the southwest with the Texans moving
                                  into Apache and Commanche territories, somethings the Mexicans
                                  couldn't do. As they did so, they quickly found out that the
                                  armament they carried was inappropriate for the type of warfare the
                                  Indians capitalized upon. Once a single shot rifle or pistol was
                                  discharged, the person was unarmed for quite some time. In the
                                  meantime a well trained warrier could have as many as 3 - 4 arrows
                                  in the air at the same time. A definite advantage of firepower.
                                  The lance was the coup de gras to save arrows when the enemy had
                                  fired their weapon.

                                  The most significant change in plains warfare occured with the
                                  multiple round handgun. The Texas Rangers quickly found out that
                                  this weapon at least put them on equal footing with the superior
                                  weaponry of the Indian. Walker even went so far as to get his hands
                                  on as many revolvers that were available throughout the US,
                                  traveling east to collect as many as were available. He even
                                  designed one for specific use from the Colt Mfg company which was
                                  heavy enough to be used as a club when emptied.

                                  Only when the handgun was developed could the full use of cavalry be
                                  attained. This applied with the saber in Civil War combat and as
                                  time went on specialty handguns were developed to improve the life
                                  expectancy of the trooper. The LaMat was a classic example of such
                                  a weapon. It was too heavy to carry on a belt and had to be carried
                                  in a saddle holster. It fired 9 rounds of ball and a 20 guage
                                  shotgun round. This along with other side-arms began to change the
                                  tactics of cavalry operations. This was something that had been
                                  learned from the Texans the the earlier years dealing with the
                                  plains Indians. Off horseback, the shortened, repeating carbine
                                  held an advantage. The increase in firepower against mounted enemy
                                  again changed the face of the cavalry. The Lancers were on their
                                  way out as were the traditional saber armed troopers. Being mounted
                                  offered a quick manuvering ability, but until small, repeating
                                  weapons were developed, limited them the increased firepower of the
                                  enemy.

                                  Jeff

                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Choron"
                                  <lordjim@r...> wrote:
                                  > Mike,
                                  >
                                  > Being a Texan, I'm fairly up on the Mexican War. The reason I
                                  mentioned it was because I know of several instances where cavalry,
                                  both United States regular troops and Texas Rangers, broke up
                                  charges by lancers and compeltely routed them, even though
                                  outnumbered significantly, simply because the Rangers and U.S.
                                  troops were armed with pistols.

                                  > I can see where the 6th would take lances, because there was no
                                  other option, but I can't see them choosing that weapon as a "first
                                  choice". I would also tend to wonder how long the lances remained in
                                  service, once better weapons came available.

                                  > Jim
                                • Mark Peters
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 5, 2004
                                    wrote:
                                    > >The last cavalry charge in Europe, that I know of,
                                    > was by the Poles in an attempt to halt German tanks
                                    > in 1939.
                                    >
                                    > WAYYY off topic...the Polish cavalry that attacked the
                                    > German panzers were heavy infantry on horseback backed
                                    > by howitzers. The romantic vision most of us have
                                    > from that incident ain't quite right.

                                    Don't patronise. War is not romantic, and if you have that
                                    vision ...