Re: [civilwarwest] Re: book reading

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 31 6:56 PM
      Web page offered by one of our members that critics Thomas Delorenzo's book on Lincoln.  The web page states, "Historical scholarship is often a controversial field, so it is no surprise that occasionally we find some argument or dissension over a book or article which appears. This web page is devoted to exposing what its publisher and contributors think are a number of grievous errors in Thomas DiLorenzo's recent book on Abraham Lincoln (The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War; Prima Publishing [an imprint of Random House], 2002). "

      I offer no pro nor con at the present time on this web site and offer it only for those seeking other sides of the coin and would have an interest in this discussion.  I let each and everyone that reads this web page to draw their own conclusions.  The web page can be found at:

      JEJ
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004

        Many, many years ago, as an undergrad at Ohio State, I took a Latin American History course. The professor came in the first day to regale us with stories about his summer spend at the Archives of the Indies in Seville.

        I had not been to the National Archives at that time but when I did get there, I recognized the main reading room as similar to the reading room in Cadiz: heavy oak tables, high ceilings – and lots of researchers, at that time, before Xeroxes, laboriously copying by hand the Spanish-American government documents.

        And here came the Yankee with a grant and a portable microfilm machine. And he recalled the Spanish copyists watching him slip document after document under the microfilm camera, their faces displaying mixed emotions, partially anger at their jobs being destroyed, and partially jealousy at his high tech solution to the issue.

        Several years ago I was forcefully reminded of the prof’s story. It was the fall of 2000, right before I started at United, and I was standing in line at the Xerox machine in the National Archives’ reading room, idly admiring the beauty of the room while waiting my turn at the machine so that I could add to my gigantic collection of unfilled and for the most part, unread copies made at various libraries. And I noticed a young man at a table with a camera!

        I went over and asked what he was doing. He proudly showed me his digital camera and, and patiently explained that, instead of spending a fortune on the Xerox, he was taking pictures of the documents and storing them on his laptop. He regaled me with stories of working in the British Public Records Office and at various repositories around the United States.

        I knew what he was talking about: I would feverishly Xerox everything in sight and then taking the time to read them after I got home. And, of course, the Archives’ staff did not allow some large bound documents to be turned upside down and either scanned or Xeroxed. And after I got the piles of Xeroxes home, how do I store the resulting material?

        He also explained that most libraries had no problem with his using his camera, but, before making a research trip it was a good idea to call or e-mail ahead and find out what their policy is. If they do not allow cameras, ask to speak to the director: they may look upon digitals as some form of Xerox or scanner and are concerned about possible physical damage to their documents. Explain to them that there will be no damage – that you will not even be using a flash. By the way, when you are finished at the library make a donation for the amount you would have spent on Xeroxes – no library or archive in this day has an adequate budget and your donation, besides being tax deductible, is total profit to them since they do not have to spend it on paper or machine maintenance.

        That researcher was making my stand at the Xerox as obsolete as the Ohio State professor had made those Spanish copiers.

        I was there in the fall, and the eternal question of what do I want to Christmas was starting to come up. I copied the specifications of the digital camera the young researcher was using and was “surprised” to find it under the tree on December 25!

        So now I take my camera with me and stand at the table, “copying” the document or the article and storing them in a sub-directory. If the document or article is worth having as a word document, I use Pagis to OCR the material, otherwise I store the gif or tif images in a sub-directory. Some of my images are not clear enough to OCR, so I open the file, then either print the image or open Word and click back and forth between the two files while I transcribe the document.

        The researcher at the Archives was using a 2 meg Kodak digital camera which is what I found under the Christmas tree. However, since then, a beautiful granddaughter has arrived in Sacramento so, two megs not being good enough for pictures of Jessica I have upgraded to an Olympus C5060 5 meg camera.

        The latter has only one flaw for research: when the UCB cord is connected to the computer, I am unable to take pictures and view then directly. So I take a bunch of images, then down load the pictures to my laptop to check for image quality and focus – at home is a poor time to discover that I blurred the image!

        I would suggest you purchase the most expensive digital camera you can afford — technology is constantly changing. Try to pick one which will allow you to copy and download at the same time.

        There is no point in my listing my cameras of choice – the list would be obsolete before I completed it! Go to pcworld.com or Consumer Reports for comparative information on digital cameras and pick the one you want.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
          In a message dated 4/7/2004 5:21:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, huddleston.r@... writes:

          That researcher was making my stand at the Xerox as obsolete as the Ohio State professor had made those Spanish copiers.

          Bob,
          That is where you made your biggest mistake, going to Ohio State.

          JEJ
          Univ of Mich grad
        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 7, 2004
            And some ignorant types think the War Between the States, AKA the North versus the South, AKA  the Civil War, is about some little skirmish between some folk 145 years ago.

            Obviously they have never been in Columbus or Ann Arbor in November.

            Take care,

            Bob (who is a Loyal Son of the South for this one time!)

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
            303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

          • NPeters102@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
              In a message dated 4/7/2004 4:59:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
              JEJ
              Univ of Mich grad

              And there are psychologists that can help you with your affliction. (GRIN!)

              Sincerely,

              Mike Peters, 1979 Ohio State grad
              npeters102@...
            • James L. Choron
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                JoE aNd AlL,

                SiX mUncE aGo I cuDn't Evin Spil AGGIE, nOW I iS one...

                Texas A&M here...

                Jim

                And there are psychologists that can help you with your affliction. (GRIN!)

                Sincerely,

                Mike Peters, 1979 Ohio State grad

              • Don Pontious
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                  In this war, between Columbus and Ann Arbor, the north wears blue and the south wears gray.
                  Signed,
                  Another loyal follower of the south  . GO BUCKS

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                    In a message dated 4/7/2004 9:43:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, huddleston.r@... writes:
                    Obviously they have never been in Columbus or Ann Arbor in November
                    And few remember the Battle of Toledo

                    JEJ
                  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004
                      In a message dated 4/8/2004 5:12:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                      Sincerely,

                      Mike Peters, 1979 Ohio State grad
                      npeters102@...
                      Ohio State University is known worldwide as the largest producer of USELESS NUTS better known as Buckeyes.

                      JEJ
                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 8, 2004

                        I live in Indiana, the home of 2 “Big 10” schools. The Big 10 Conference of course has 11 schools. They don’t teach math.

                        I went to school in S.W. Ky. at Murray State where at least we know the difference between 10 and 11.

                        As a Hoosier, I always preferred Notre Dame anyways.

                        Tom Mix