Re: 21st VA/Knoxville

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      Mike,

      I am not familiar with the source you questioned. However, I am
      pretty sure that "Grumble" Jones involvement in NE Tenn came AFTER
      Longstreet's abortive campaign against Knoxville, during the winter
      months of '64/65, before Longstreet's corp returned to Virginia.
      This was another instance where a commander in Lee's AoNV was sent
      westward after a personality conflict. JEB Stuart tried to court-
      martial Jones, but Lee intervened.

      Jeffrey Wert does a pretty good job on this period in his bio on
      Longstreet, although he primarily deals with the Confederate side,
      and there is not a lot of tactical detail.

      Joe H.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, NPeters102@a... wrote:
      > Am searching for references on the Knoxville Campaign because of a
      family
      > member's participation. According to pension records, Zachariah
      Peters rode with
      > the 21st VA Cavalry & was wounded in a 10 December 1863 skirmish
      near
      > Morristown, Tennessee, where his left leg was subsequently
      amputated. According to
      > "Floyd County, A History of Its People & Places," by Dr. Amos D.
      Wood, "Zackariah
      > Peters lost a leg at Beam's Station, Tennessee." Muster roll
      records show him
      > as absent with leave from 1 January to 31 October 1864 because he
      was "at
      > home on wounded furlough ... leg amputated."
      >
      > I am looking for more information on Morristown, Beam's/Bean's
      Station & the
      > overall Knoxville Campaign. Did a search online & found "Grumble:
      The W. E.