Re: [civilwarwest] Re: How do you read your books?

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28, 2004
      In a message dated 3/28/2004 3:33:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, abagley@... writes:
      Depending on the subject, if there are several books written about
      it, I'll read two or three extra interpretations. For example, a
      recent interest in the Battle of Perryville led me to "Perryville:
      This Grand Havoc of Battle" by Kenneth W. Noe; I then read Shelby
      Foote's "Narrative" section that pertained to this battle's
      campaign. An internet search on Perryville supplied supplemental
      information, so with all three sources, I got a pretty darn good
      overall view of that battle (which is highly underrated and too much
      ignored).
      Art:

      Now you're talking! My approach is pretty much the same. Am presently reading "Shiloh Bloody April," by Sword. Also nearby is Daniel's work on the subject. Not far away is Gott's work on Forts Henry & Donelson & a book on the 11th Indiana, a regiment that fought at Shiloh. I also love to read what Shelby Foote has to say on the battle. While lacking footnotes, his prose is very pleasant & entertaining reading.

      Sincerely,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@...