Civil War Songs... The Bonnie Blue Flag

  • James L. Choron
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2004

      (Verse 1)
      We are a band of brothers and native to the soil
      Fighting for the property we gained by honest toil
      And when our rights were threatened, the cry rose near and far
      Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star!

      (Chorus)
      Hurrah!
      Hurrah!
      For Southern rights, hurrah!
      Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

      (Verse 2)
      As long as the Union was faithful to her trust
      Like friends and brethren, kind were we, and just
      But now, when Northern treachery attempts our rights to mar
      We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

      (Verse 3)
      First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand
      Then came Alabama and took her by the hand
      Next, quickly Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida
      All raised on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

      (Verse 4)
      Ye men of valor gather round the banner of the right
      Texas and fair Louisiana join us in the fight
      Davis, our loved President, and Stephens statesmen are
      Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

      (Verse 5)
      And here's to brave Virginia the Old Dominion state
      With the young Confederacy at length has linked her fate
      Impelled by her example now other states prepare
      To hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears the single star.

      (Verse 6)
      Then here's to our Confederacy strong we are and brave
      Like patriots of old we'll fight our heritage to save
      And rather than submit to shame to die we would prefer
      So cheer for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears the single star.

      (Verse 7)
      Then cheer boys cheer raise the joyous shout
      For Arkansas and North Carolina now have both gone out
      And let another rousing cheer for Tennessee be given
      The single star on the Bonnie Blue Flag has grown to be eleven.

      (Verse 8)
      And to Missouri we extend both heart and hand
      And welcome her a sister of our Confederate band
      Tho surrounded by oppression no one dare deter
      Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag her bright and twelfth star!