Re: Shiloh/Pittsburgh Landing... Win, Lose, or Draw?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 2, 2004
      On April 5 the combined US forces in the theatre numbered 65,000 and
      the CS forces 55,000: an 18% advantage. The prime striking force, the
      Army of the Tennessee, was awaiting the arrival of the Army of the
      Ohio, before leaving the river supply line to capture Corinth.

      On April 8, the US forces had 52,000 men and the CS 44,500 men: a 17%
      advantage.

      On the 5th, the US AotT was awaiting the arrival of the US AotO. On
      the 8th they were united on the south and west side of the river
      preparing to advance on Corinth.

      On the 5th the CS army was lead by Albery Sydney Johnston, Jefferson
      Davis' personal choice for supreme field command; on the 8th it was
      lead by PGT Beauregard, the hero of Fort Sumter and no friend of
      Davis.

      The attack gained the CS no advantage and killed it's commander.

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Billie" <wmhiram@y...> wrote:
      > I've seen this discussion otherwheres, but I want to hear what
      > people on this board have to say. Shiloh/Pittsburgh Landing...
      > Union victory, Confederate victory, or a draw?
      >
      > Billie
    • james2044
      Message 78 of 78 , Mar 7, 2004
        I sold all of my Richard Berg's regimental level ACW games on eBay a
        couple of years ago. They turned into a Euroarms 1861 Springfield
        defarbed by John Zimmermann. In terms of ACW games HPS is your best
        bet and IMO the best games. Talonsoft is in second place but they
        have dropped off the map by choice.

        The HPS Campaign series is great fun and not bad history. I've
        found that knowing something about the campaing helps or makes
        things better. I play the AI, won't commit the time, and beat it
        almost to death. In fact, if I don't beat the AI, the attack was a
        real bad idea. Maybe someday, HPS will move east.

        I miss the old SPI board games too. The touch and feel of
        a "monster game" was something that can not be duplicated on CD.
        However, the cat has never knocked a game to hell on my PC and my
        wife isn't asking when we "get the table back" either.

        James2044